Uhf Vhf at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 17th, 2003, 09:41 AM   #1
Major Player

Uhf Vhf

I dug out my old Azden wireless mic that I bought back in the late 80's! It is bad. The interference is really bad. It didn't cost that much so I'm sure it's VHF. A couple of questions.
1. Are the new ones better? Do they do a better job of getting the interference out?
2. Does the UHF models have interfernce problems too?
3. Since I'm on a tight budget right now, is there a cheaper wireless in UHF?
Thanks
Bob Zimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2003, 12:05 PM   #2
Wrangler

The cheapest solutions are VHF. It is possible to find some that might work in your area, but since you are already having problems I think this solution is unwise.

UHF can have interference problems too, however, it is much less of a problem.

I always recommend the Sennheiser EW112P which sells for around $450. I think it is one of the best mics for the money.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2003, 09:12 AM   #3
Boss Hog

Bob,

You might also look at using frequency agile wireless mics. These multichannel systems allow you to select from a number of frequencies to obtain the best performance.

UHF is currently popular because there are more channel choices available. I use Audio-Technica U100x series UHF without problems. To get the best performance from your wireless:

With UHF, line of sight between the transmitter and reciever is more important then with VHF.

A diversity system (two antennas/tuners/frontends per receiver) is less likely to suffer dropouts.

Make sure your talent does not wrap the antenna around the bodypack transmitter and shove it into a pocket. This can decrease the range on a wireless.

Alwasy use high quality alkaline batteries and fresh batteries for a critical shoot.

Find out more tips on the Audio-Technica website www.audio-technica.com (Using wireless)

Hope this helps
Old March 28th, 2003, 05:24 PM   #4
Wrangler

The better VHF mcis use frequencies around 160-170 mHz give or take. The cheap units were around 49 mHz, and some around 29 mHz. THe lower frequencies are very interference prone.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog