"hot"Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 27th, 2001, 12:51 AM   #1
David Whitehouse

"hot"Footage

Hi,
I've just done a shoot under a red Marque (tent). White balance properly etc. I have taken the footage into my editing package and the footage is way over on chroma levels. If I output the footage to a VHS tape the red is bleeding badly. I'm using a DVRex M1 and have taken the footage into video doctor tools to cool it down. I thought the red tent was the problem however I've checked some other footage I've shot and it's also over.
I can fix this in VDT but would rather not have to.
The XL1 is PAL. Capture was done by firewire, but even if I output to VHS from the camera the colours bleed.
Any ideas?
Thanks
David Whitehouse
Old September 28th, 2001, 07:46 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Ah, yes, the dreaded RED scare. My old man's daddy was a nationalist who used to fall in line with the Republicans back in the '50's, saying "better dead than red."

Well, that's still true today but in a different way.

VHS doesn't like red. Red bleeds bad... real bad. Thing is, the XL1 is a Canon camera and therefore somewhat red-shifted in a subtle way... the famous Canon "look" as opposed to the somewhat blue-shifted Sonys.

Couple suggestions:

Don't output to VHS. Let a professional duplication house, using pro, industrial-grade VHS decks, do it for you. Or try dumping to VHS via an S-VHS deck. Even that could make a difference.

You have an Canopus DVRex M1 with Video Doctor Tools? Now may be the perfect time for you to upgrade to real-time with the RT option for the DVRex. No rendering... simply color-correct on the fly, in real-time. The increase in your productivity should pay for itself exponentially, in no time. RT is well worth the cost.

Hope this helps. Looking forward to Midnight Oil's upcoming US tour. Hope y'all are having a nice Spring down there,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2001, 07:02 PM   #3
David Whitehouse

Thanks Chris.
Unfortunately this shoot was for my brother-in-laws wedding so probably doesn't warrant a dup house. We are outputting on a SVHS recorder to VHS tape. I found one of the reasons for soo much bleed on the monitor, the contrast was all the way up, as were a couple of the other controls.
As much as we'd like to go RT, with the Aussie Dollar being so weak against the USD, the local agent wanting his share and money being pretty tight here it's not an option at this stage. The render times we are experiencing aren't too bad anyway and it makes me take a break t get COFFEE.
Thanks for the advice,

David Whitehouse

PS Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter are all nice in Cairns with Rainforest and Reef 20 mins away.
Old October 1st, 2001, 04:07 PM   #4
Wrangler

IF you have a proc amp available, try trim the chroma down a bit while making the VHS copies. That might help.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog