DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Wireless Input Help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/8096-wireless-input-help.html)

Annie Cheatham March 27th, 2003 05:47 PM

Wireless Input Help

I'm trying to record 2 sets of audio. Audio 1 is coming in through the on-board standard XL1 microphone. Audio 2 is coming in through RCA cables (though the mic is not stereo) from the 2nd input location on the camera handle. I've set the menu to 12 bit ST 1,2 and on Audio 2 the Mic ATT20 is selected. When I test the audio, and switch between the 2 on the audio monitor, it looks like I am getting 2 different audio inputs - BUT when I play back the tape (either on the TV or after capturing from AVID) the wireless mic on Audio 2 is not there any more. I have tested the wireless mic by itself on audio 1 (without the on board) and things were fine. Please help me resolve this situation. I want to record audio from the on-board and from the wireless (and neither specifically have to be stereo) at the same time, thats all. Any info would be appreciated. Or if there is a thread somehwhere, just point me in the right directions.

Thanks a ton!

Annie

Ken Tanaka March 27th, 2003 10:18 PM

Welcome Annie

I think I can at least head you in the right direction, although I'll have to leave some of the details to Avid users.

Basically, you're actually recording 4 channels. Your onboard mic, which is stereo, consumes two of those channels. Those are the only two channels that you seem to be capturing with your Avid or playing back during a preview. Your wireless mic (which I assume to be mono) is being recorded on the 3rd channel and the 4th channel is blank.

So to grab your wireless mic's sound you'll have to navigate your Avid to capture those extra channels.

Annie Cheatham March 28th, 2003 12:44 AM

But shouldn't I?

But shouldn't I be able to hear those 3rd and 4th channels on a play back, when i hook the camera directly up to the television or something?

On a slightly different note, can i record mono sound off of the on board mic and mono off of the wireless and capture it on the first two audio channels?

Thanks for the reply!

Annie

Ken Tanaka March 28th, 2003 01:07 AM

Re: But shouldn't I?

But shouldn't I be able to hear those 3rd and 4th channels on a play back, when i hook the camera directly up to the television or something?
Short answer: See page 96 of the (English) XL1S manual. You'll have to change the sound mix settings.

On a slightly different note, can i record mono sound off of the on board mic and mono off of the wireless and capture it on the first two audio channels?
No, not to my knowledge. The mic is strictly stereo and when you tell the camera that the onboard mic is to be used it will automatically reserve the first 2 channels for it. If you want an onboard mono mic you'll need to use another mic.

Don Palomaki March 28th, 2003 05:44 AM

To record the onboard mic in mono on one channel and an external mic on the other channel would require a rather special "Y" adapter that also powers the mic. I do not know of any commercial product that does this.