US Military's got some Canons (XL1s) - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 4th, 2003, 10:51 AM   #16
Air China Pilot

Them soldiers have big biceps.
Old April 5th, 2003, 02:42 AM   #17
Inner Circle

I just saw an Air Force tech sgt shooting a live fire training exercise at the Pohakuloa training area in Hawaii with a Sony PD-150. He said his unit was testing them out.

They also shoot with an XL1.

Results with the 150 were good, he said.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2003, 03:05 AM   #18
New Boot

Oh yes, good old P.T.A.

I was stationed there in the 80's as a MPI/TAI Officer...
Actor-Stunts-Filmmaker
Riley G. Matthews, Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #19
Regular Crew

I know lots of different toys are being used, but my initial post was that I saw a soldier being filmed setting up an xl1 to shoot an oil rig fire.

I know if it were me (using the auto lens) I'd encase the thing in plastic and use something like the Varizoom controller to make any adjustments. That way the lens and it's mechanisms stay clean, yet allow the different focus, zoom adjustments.

I just figured that size and weight might be of paramount importance, not to mention battery longevity, on the road trip to Baghdad.

I also think that I'm seeing a fair amount of stuff with the indicative image quality of Frame-mode. Although if they're using a fast shutter speed, it can sometimes have a similar effect. A bit jittery on action shots. But also a certain smoothness of color saturation leads me to think..Canon!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog