DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Broken motor in lense? Cost of repair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/83015-broken-motor-lense-cost-repair.html)

Albert Mitchell January 2nd, 2007 11:10 PM

Broken motor in lense? Cost of repair?

I bought my xl1s right before the xl2 came out. I have used the camera for mostly hand held shooting of live action. Because of this I have used the zoom a lot on the camera.
I turned on my camera one day to shoot a show and found my camera would not focus, or zoom in or out. I tried the 20 x zoom off one of my friends cameras and it worked fine on my body. My lens did not work on his camera. I can only imagine this is a problem with my lens and probably the motor in it. Have any of you had this problem? What would it cost to fix a problem such as this?
thanks
Albert

Mike Teutsch January 3rd, 2007 06:08 AM

I believe they have an internal fuse, and I sounds like it has blown. That can happen if you forget to turn it off before removing the lens. A trip to Canon Factory Service is in order.

Mike

Dan Keaton January 3rd, 2007 02:18 PM

Dear Albert,

If you want to upgrade to the XL2 lens, I have one in excellent condition.

I purchased this 20x lens for my XL1s, but since I now use an XL H1, I no longer need it.

Mike Teutsch January 3rd, 2007 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
Dear Albert,

If you want to upgrade to the XL2 lens, I have one in excellent condition.

I purchased this 20x lens for my XL1s, but since I now use an XL H1, I no longer need it.

Ditto with me, but you beat me to it. :)

Mike

Dan Keaton January 3rd, 2007 02:59 PM

Dear Mike,

Does this mean we are in a "PRICE WAR"? LOL

Mike Teutsch January 3rd, 2007 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Keaton
Dear Mike,

Does this mean we are in a "PRICE WAR"? LOL

Nope, you were there first! :)

I bought mine to use on my XL1s, which I do not have anymore. It is a better lens than the 16x, with more features, but I'm sure he can get his 16x fixed cheaper than replacing it. Never hurts to have a spare though!

Mine is on it's way back from Canon as we speak, and has been cleaned and serviced. Next stop-------Ebay!

Mike

Albert Mitchell January 3rd, 2007 05:56 PM

Thanks for the information. How much was repair bill, if you do not mind? The lens started acting weird when I first turned on the camera. To try and fix it I did end up taking it off when the camera was on so I am sure if nothing else the fuse is blown. What else do they do if you send the entire camera in for a tune up?
Albert
By the way if I am unable to fix the lens I would be interested in buying one from. I am simply looking for the most affordable way to get my camera running (ie a student using the camera to get real life experience)

Mike Teutsch January 3rd, 2007 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Albert Mitchell
Thanks for the information. How much was repair bill, if you do not mind? The lens started acting weird when I first turned on the camera. To try and fix it I did end up taking it off when the camera was on so I am sure if nothing else the fuse is blown. What else do they do if you send the entire camera in for a tune up?
Albert
By the way if I am unable to fix the lens I would be interested in buying one from. I am simply looking for the most affordable way to get my camera running (ie a student using the camera to get real life experience)

My 20x had a speck of dust on the inside of the rear lens. The bill for cleaning and adjusting everything to spec was $90 plus shipping and insurance, about $117 total.

Yours should be about the same.

Mike