Arri PL to XL-1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 20th, 2002, 05:11 PM   #16
Regular Crew

as a true "no-budget" filmmaker, i'm interested more in the use of the adapters for the XL1S that cost less than 1000 to buy, not the 8000 dollar P+S (...someday i'll use that one...). these can be found at ZGC.com, and allow the use of a variety of motion picture lenses (16mm and 35mm). The one i remember is the one that fits Arri PL, but there are others.
what are the downfalls of these cheaper adaptors?
do they make the motion picture lenses basically telephoto?
distortion?
I'm pre-producing a feature film, and i would love to have depth of field, etc, at an affordable cost.
i would also try to purchase lenses, b/c renting is almost as expensive.
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2002, 05:14 PM   #17
Regular Crew

barnes and noble still has the april American Cinematographer on the shelf
Jay Henderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2002, 10:10 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi all,

well, I just spoke to someone at Optex in the UK because I have a good opportunity to get a used Angenieux 12-120 Arri SB 16mm lens. I was told that no 16mm Arri lenses willl work as these give significant vignetting - the lens will not cover the whole CCD apparently. Only 35mm Arri lenses will give full coverage. It sounds like it will not be possible with any mechanical (not optical) adaptor to make Arri 16mm PL lenses work, but please, if anyone knows if this is wrong, correct me!
Oh well, shame!

Kai.
Kai Leibrandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2002, 10:18 AM   #19
timJones

Re: No More Focal Length Confusion, I Hope

<snip> In this case the image size filling the CCD of the camera is 4.8mm x 3.6mm. <snip>

Hi

my question is slightly off topic. I am an animator (cgfx student) and am in the process of putting some CG buildings into a filmed pan shot. To do this I need to match my cg camera to the real thing, focal lengths and field of view being the important things, which is where I meet your discussion. My software needs to know the exposure area of the camera, it has the 35mm film area's programmed in ie: academy aperture 21.94*16mm, but I need the same info for the xl1. Are the figures I have snipped from your post the full exposure area of the ccd? I had done a approximate calc on the 1/3" as horizontal frame and got 8.47mm, which I am now assuming is very wrong.

so to reiterate from my ramblings. Is 4.8mm x 3.6mm the full exposure area of the xl1?

oh and just to confuse matters i'm using the uk pal version. Doh!

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Tim. x
Old November 8th, 2005, 11:29 AM   #20
Tourist

animation

Quote:
Originally Posted by timJones
<snip> In this case the image size filling the CCD of the camera is 4.8mm x 3.6mm. <snip>

Hi

my question is slightly off topic. I am an animator (cgfx student) and am in the process of putting some CG buildings into a filmed pan shot. To do this I need to match my cg camera to the real thing, focal lengths and field of view being the important things, which is where I meet your discussion. My software needs to know the exposure area of the camera, it has the 35mm film area's programmed in ie: academy aperture 21.94*16mm, but I need the same info for the xl1. Are the figures I have snipped from your post the full exposure area of the ccd? I had done a approximate calc on the 1/3" as horizontal frame and got 8.47mm, which I am now assuming is very wrong.

so to reiterate from my ramblings. Is 4.8mm x 3.6mm the full exposure area of the xl1?

oh and just to confuse matters i'm using the uk pal version. Doh!

any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Tim. x
why not use 35mm frames from a still camera for animation?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog