problem with my xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 6th, 2007, 08:44 AM   #1
New Boot

problem with my xl1s

hi,i have a little problem with my camera,when im filming and i zoom in the image blurs for an instant and then goes back to normal,it just happens very quick,this happens in every position i use it even in auto,is there a setting i have to fix or something?does anyone had that problem before?thank you very much for the time,bye
Juan Batres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

If you zoom in very slowly, this will not occur.

The Canon lens has one motor. It can be used for zooming or focusing, but not both.

If you zoom in slowly, there is time, as suprising as it is, that it can alternate between zooming and focusing. Of course, you may want a fast zoom, in which case it can not do both.

The problem applies equally to both auto-focus and manual-focus, as all of the focusing is done via the one motor.
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #3
New Boot

thanks for the post dan,at first i tought the lense was probably dirty or something,but now that i read about the one motor lense,i think theres nothing i can do but to zoom slow,on the zoom speed it has variable,slow and fast,the medium and fast get blury but the variable and slow doesnt,its sad how my 500 dollar sony camera dont do that! :(
Old February 6th, 2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Inner Circle

One technique, is to first zoom in all the way, then focus.

Then turn off auto-focus.

Then, as you zoom, at all speeds, you have a better chance of being in focus.
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:53 PM   #5
Wrangler

Actually, the XL1 standard lens has separate stepper motors for zoom and for focus (two motors). However communication with the lens is serial data (zoom, focus, aperture, iris, and some low frequency VAP commands) over the same link. Focus is calculated in the body based on image contrast. Fast zoom may fool the focus sensing/adjusting/tracking system as image content changes.
Old February 6th, 2007, 06:56 PM   #6
New Boot

thanks for the trick,im going to try it,bye
Old February 6th, 2007, 08:58 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki
Actually, the XL1 standard lens has separate stepper motors for zoom and for focus (two motors). However communication with the lens is serial data (zoom, focus, aperture, iris, and some low frequency VAP commands) over the same link. Focus is calculated in the body based on image contrast. Fast zoom may fool the focus sensing/adjusting/tracking system as image content changes.
nothing can be done to fix this ha? so everyone working with an xl1s has this problem??
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:16 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Yup, I've got that problem as well. It sucks, and it severely limites the types of shots you can get, such as dollying forward and zooming out while maintaining focus. You can rectify this buy purchasing a 16x manual lens which is true manual control on the focus and zoom rings seperately. It has a switch from true manual to servo, but true manual is the way to go for any serious professional camera operator.
Old February 8th, 2007, 11:13 PM   #9
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Reynolds
Yup, I've got that problem as well. It sucks, and it severely limites the types of shots you can get, such as dollying forward and zooming out while maintaining focus. You can rectify this buy purchasing a 16x manual lens which is true manual control on the focus and zoom rings seperately. It has a switch from true manual to servo, but true manual is the way to go for any serious professional camera operator.
thanks,im gonna do my research on that one,i still cant believe this problem cant be fixed :(
Juan Batres is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog