DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1S vs GL2 vs SONY vs Panisonic vs help ! (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/8645-xl1s-vs-gl2-vs-sony-vs-panisonic-vs-help.html)

Randy Turner April 14th, 2003 08:01 PM

XL1S vs GL2 vs SONY vs Panisonic vs help !

Ok I was going to buy a XL1S because Canon told me its the only camcorder they have that could be used to make a full length movie that could be used for theater or tv etc. then i read this forum and see that the GL2 could be used and some say has a better picture quality etc. then I call Canon and ask about the GL2 for movie shooting and was told again the XL1S because the GL2 can not be hooked up to the equipment i will need to have to shoot a movie etc. well then i kept reading forums and some say the sony VX2000 would work better because of the 24fp or something like that and then grrrrrr the JVC ???? would work good because it has ???? iv read so many forums trying to make a good decision on the right camcorder im lost again lol someone give it to me strait ! what should i get ? XL1S vs GL2 vs VX2000 vs pd150 vs a JVC model in same price range ? yes price is going to have to be in the same range as the XL1S and im using it to make a short movie and tv commercials no i have no experiance but am going to learn the hard way and yes i learn before i jump into something thats why im hear asking you all cause i think you guys rock ! been reading alot of your posts :-). Thank you very much.
Randy.

Dylan Couper April 15th, 2003 01:02 AM

Sounds like you are pretty confused there. Understandably. Buying these things can often boggle the mind.

Here's the bottom line:
All of these cameras can be used to make a movie. If that's what a Canon rep actually told you, report him to his superiors and make sure he is kicked in the pants for saying that. The GL2 may have a slightly sharper picture, and will hook up to any kind of equipment the XL1s will.

The 24p camera you are referring to is the Panasonic DVX100. If you are going to do a direct transfer to film, it might be useful. If you aren't, any of these cameras will do. The DVX100 is still an awsome camera and will shoot in 30p and 60i video modes as well, (60i is normal more), which is what all the other cameras shoot in.

I have two suggestions for you. The first is to buy the GL2, because it is the cheapest, and if you are making a movie, you will need thousands of dollars more for accessories, like a tripod, lighting equipment, a better microphone, etc... This applies to any camera, but the GL2 might save you some bucks.

The next suggestion is based on your statement that you have no experience, but you are planning on jumping into making a short movie and doing TV commercials. On one hand, more power to you, but on the other, maybe a better idea would be renting a camera for your first few projects. That way, if it doesn't work out, you aren't out of as much $$$$. Alternately, you could find someone with a camera localy to do the photography on your shoots while you direct. This would also be cheaper and safer in the short run for you, and would allow you time to gain experience.

Randy Turner April 15th, 2003 01:58 AM

GL2 vs DVX100 cost

Thank you Dylan for helping me make up my mind , im going with GL2 which i was going to do 2 weeks ago until i started reading these forums ! they will be very valuable in the future but while im trying to make up my mind it just boggles the mind lol , the reason I was going to get the DVX100 was my main goal is going to be making a movie after i learn more and finish schooling , until then i guess i will work on commercials I have written down and hope to sell to some of this large corps , I have seen some of the TV commercials out there and if they pay for them im going to be rich !!!! lol hard to believe some company paid for some of these dumb commercials that seem to insult our intelligence :-() , one other question for you any advice on what type of training i should get for making movies in the future I was thinking special effects on the editing side rather then learning lighting and how to shoot a film etc. i have a good eye and im sure alot of these film makers didn't go to school to learn there trade but did alot of trial and error , and being able to edit and place special effects into my video with my computer and a good program might be a much better use of my learning time for the near future.
im open to any more suggestions and thank you very very much :-)
Randy.

Don Palomaki April 15th, 2003 04:25 AM

There may be courses offered at a local college that would be of interest.

All can shoot good video in the hands of a skilled user. The XL1s is the most flexible and thus a favorite of serious film makers. It offers better audio and ability to work with different lenses and other accressories.

As a new shooter, the XL1s may be overkill until you get into it and gain experience in creative control of the gear. Thus the GL2 may be better for you at thsi stage. Moving to full use of the XL1s depends on how fast you learn the craft.