DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Genlock a xL1s and a GL2 cameras (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/86503-genlock-xl1s-gl2-cameras.html)

Daniel Paquin February 14th, 2007 11:35 AM

Genlock a xL1s and a GL2 cameras

I do own a xL1s, a GL2 and a Videonics mixer (2 DV input and one DV output).

This is the first time that I hear about genlock and TC, and I would like to know how and if possible to genlock those two cameras.

I want to cut doing offline video editing and this is the reason why I am planning to use the mixer.

One camera will be connected to the mixer via a 40 meter DV (6 pin to pin) cable with a repeater in between. The other camera will be connected to the same mixer via a 20 meter DV cable. If I read other tread correctly, it is imperative that I have cable that are the same length. Am I correct ?

What will I need to ensure the video signal is always synchronised when going to the mixer ?

Regards !

Daniel

Chris Hurd February 14th, 2007 12:05 PM

It is not possible to GenLock these cameras as they have no GenLock input.

I don't think you'll run into any sync issues over FireWire cables of different lengths with that mixer. Since you already have the cameras and the mixer on hand, I suggest that you thoroughly test the set-up first. Please report what you find.

Samuel Small December 3rd, 2007 12:56 AM

Genlocking Canon Xl1'a

I too have a genlock question for Canon XL1 camera. I plan on doing local sports shooting and planned on using Multiple Canon XL1's. Luckily, I also read they don't come with Genlock before I brought the cameras. Is there anyway to genlock multiple Xl1'a or can you recommend cameras that do?

Don Palomaki December 3rd, 2007 08:44 AM

Considering that the XL1 and XL1s are discontinued models, sounds like you are doing this on a modest budget.

Depending on what you are doing and your editing and distribution plans (e.g., live signal, mix to tape, or tape to be edited later) it may not be necessary to have genlock.

Can you give a bit more information on what you are doing, your current equipment, and maybe folks here can give some additional ideas.

Samuel Small December 4th, 2007 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 786377)
Considering that the XL1 and XL1s are discontinued models, sounds like you are doing this on a modest budget.

Depending on what you are doing and your editing and distribution plans (e.g., live signal, mix to tape, or tape to be edited later) it may not be necessary to have genlock.

Can you give a bit more information on what you are doing, your current equipment, and maybe folks here can give some additional ideas.

Sure, I am looking to purchase equipment on a modest budget, so at present I don't have any. I plan on shooting local sporting events and comedy shows with the thought of doing all three that you mentioned. All of the cameras on the market now pretty much exceed what I'm looking for. I already knew that the XL1 series was discontinued, but I figured that can get three of those in decent condition for the cost of 1 camera. Plus, just starting out I would need to get familiar with the craft with an inventory of equipment where if I stop, I won't lose much. That being said, ANY information that you or ANYBODY else would be wonderful and will be greatly appreciated.

Don Palomaki December 4th, 2007 01:20 PM

You really do not need genlock if you have a mixer such as the Videonics (even for live mixes), or if you plan to edit later using a NLE. The MX series mixers include timebase correction and a frame synchronizer to correct for any differences in sources.

Having synchronized time code on all sources can make editing easier, especially if doing linear editing (but not many folks do that these days from what I see).

Samuel Small December 4th, 2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Palomaki (Post 787113)
You really do not need genlock if you have a mixer such as the Videonics (even for live mixes), or if you plan to edit later using a NLE. The MX series mixers include timebase correction and a frame synchronizer to correct for any differences in sources.

Having synchronized time code on all sources can make editing easier, especially if doing linear editing (but not many folks do that these days from what I see).

Hey Don, I truly appreciated this bit of advice. I just want to reiterate something. I did research on the Videotronics mixers and a company called Focus (Looks like Videotronics) MX series. So what you are saying is as long as i have one of these mixers with timebase correction, I can use the Canon XL1 camera with no problems?

Samuel Small December 4th, 2007 10:59 PM

Oops, I read further it is the same company.

Don Palomaki December 5th, 2007 07:46 AM

Yes, the Videonics line was merged into Focus several years ago, and yes should be no problem using their mixer with the XL1 series. I suspect many other mixers would work the same, but only have used the MX series. I have an MX-1 I no longer use, and an MX-Pro I use occasionally, mainly for the TBC feature at this point.