audio out from XL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 4th, 2002, 03:52 PM   #1
cubfan99

audio out from XL-1

I'm using an XL-1 to record a speaker training session. The speaker needs to be able to walk with a VHS tape, so I'm just using the camera to feed a VHS deck through the yellow composite out feed on the back of the XL-1. My question is this: I don't have a mixer, but can I use the xlr shoulder adapter to loop the audio through the camera? (The VHS deck doesn't have xlr audio inputs.) In other words, have the mic feed into the adapter into audio 1 (or audio 2), and come out of the rca audio jacks to feed the vhs deck? Thanks.
Old February 5th, 2002, 12:22 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It doesn't look like you're getting much input so I'll take a swing at it.

I read your post as:
1. You're basically trying to record an event onto a VHS tape by using your XL1 to feed external video to a consunmer VHS deck. You're using the video-out port to feed the deck your video while you're recording the same video to your miniDV tape (implicitly). (Note that with the XL1 you will need to roll the tape to keep the cam from automatically powering down after 5 mins. The XL1s has a feature that bypasses automatic power-off.)

2. You're wondering how to get the audio to the VHS deck.

Yes?

Two possibilities come to mind.

1. Capture the audio via a separate external mic connected directly to the VHS deck. I know you noted that you don't have a mixer but an external mic might be a good solution.

2. What about feeding audio and video out through the 1394 port through a Dazzle DV Bridge (1394 in / RCA out)? This gizmo is widely available, is not very expensive and can sometimes be handy for DV-VHS trasfers.

Just ideas for a fellow "cubfan". We need to stick together through our endless suffering <g>.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 01:37 PM   #3
Sponsor: JET DV

While recording, the RCA audio plugs are designed for Audio - IN. I am not sure if they can output sound even if they are not being used. However, you said you were using an MA-100. You can if you don't need the sound going to the camera, just plug a wire from the MA-100 directly to the VCR. If it needs to go to both the camera and the VCR, just connect a "Y" to the MA-100 and plug one side into the XL-1 and the other side to a wire extending to the VCR. Hopefully the VCR will have a manual audio control - otherwise there is no guarantee what sound level you will be getting.

Another option might be to run a line from the headphone out jack to the VCR. In this case, the MA-100 would be connected to the XL-1 and the XL-1 could control the volume level (sound meter display). Once again, no guarantee how loud the sound would be on the VCR.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2002, 05:56 PM   #4
Wrangler

You should be able to use an adapter (female RCA to 1/8" stereo mini-phone pigtail) and connect the MA-100 output to the XL1 mic input jack. Then the audio 1 will output the sound that is fed to the mic input from the MA-100.

To prevent going into standby after 5 minutes, do not put tape in the camcorder. Use the remote to ruen off the on screen display in the analog output.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2002, 09:48 AM   #5
cubfan99

Thanks for all the great help and info!
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:05 PM   #6
Major Player

That's what this community is all about.

And, hey, anyone that admits to being a Cub fan needs all the help they can get!
Old February 7th, 2002, 01:21 PM   #7
cubfan99

The endless pain is killing me!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog