Headphone Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 6th, 2002, 10:53 PM   #1
Michael Menyk

Headphone Question

I am using a shotgun mic through the AUDIO 1 L XLR input on my MA-200. Unfortunately, when I plug in my headphones, the audio (naturally) only feeds into the Left headphone. Is there any way to split the Audio 1 L input to L/R, or at least to pull audio from Audio 1 L into both headphones? Thanks in advance for any assistance; I'll be looking forward to it.
Old February 6th, 2002, 11:25 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

You could use a y-connector to feed both channels from a single source. Markertek.com (as well as some Radio Shacks) have such gizmos. But you would simply be feeding the same signal to both channels. Why would you want to do that?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2002, 11:47 PM   #3
Quantum Productions

I've been doing that since I bought my camera (home made Y connection into audio 2 left & right). The benefit (other than left & right headphone sound) is during mixing down to VHS. I did alot of live video/audio mixing straight to my SVHS deck and would manually fade between my camera mic(audio1) and the wireless mic (audio2) with the mix balance on the remote. This was great when I didn't have a mixer to pan it. Anyway, now it's almost mostly all in the computer but it's still nice to hear both left & right ear while at a taping!
You could also put in a little switch in your headphones and make them mono.

It's still makes me mad that my DV Raptor card will only capture audio1 (L & R) and I have to manually capture audio 2 (L&R) after and then painfully sync it up in my timeline! I was thinking of making a connector so audio 1 was split together (camera mic left and wireless on the right)! This way when I captured with my 'old-out-of date' capture card I wouldn't have to try to sync up. just set the pan levels in the mixer or editing sofwear. Better to modify outside the camera than inside!
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:04 AM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Interesting Adam. Just goes to show me that every solution has a problem waiting to mate with it!

Ya know, while reading your post I thought I remembered seeing a mini-plug adapter that would convert a 2-channel plug into a single channel...but heck if I know if that's what I really saw. It must have been at a Radio Shack quite a while ago. If it exsts, that might solve Michael's need at least at the ear-level during a shoot.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2002, 12:24 AM   #5
Quantum Productions

Yes, I think they do (Radio Shack)! A soldering iron and lots of little connectors is much cheaper though and 'customized'.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog