Need help with XL1s setup at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 6th, 2007, 06:54 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help with XL1s setup

First- hope this doesn't go in "Now hear this", I wanted input from actual XL1s owners. Here is my current setup. XL1s, Azden 100 mics with xlr's, Studio 1-XLR BP3 adapter (which has direct line to 1/8 mic input on camera). I do not have ma-200 or ma-100. Here is what I want to do- I'm looking to buy ENG- 44 mixer to upgrade my sound and mixing capabilities- need to use at least 3 mics. The ENG-44 will allow 4. Question- what is the best way to get from ENG-44 to camera? If I purchase a ma-100 or 200 will that help? Can I go directly from 44 to camera 1/8 with direct line? I know these are stupid questions to some but we really need help. Thanks
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:22 AM   #2
Major Player

Buy the MA100. You'll find it easier to use external mics of any kind instead of using the 1/8th input.
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:42 AM   #3
Regular Crew

I had a ma-100 offered to me at a good price. Here's a dumb question. For a 4 mic setup coming from the ENG-44, can I use the 100's 2 inputs or do I need the ma-200's 4?
Tony Sellars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2007, 06:52 AM   #4
Inner Circle

You don't need the MA 200. You need the MA100. The ENG 44 has balanced XLR outputs. Let the ENG 44 do your mixing to 2 channels. THose two channels go into the MA100. You may have to set the XL1s to Line level input unless the ENG 44 can output mic level. THe MA100 will be handy for other configurations where you don't use the ENG 44.

For reference, the 4 channels MA 200 is to support the 4-channel audio format of DV. You have to drop to 12-bit audio to do 4 channel recording. Also, you have to capture the extra two channels in a second pass.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2007, 05:21 AM   #5
Wrangler

Be aware that the MA-100 (and MA-200) are not designed for line-level inputs (e.g., typically +4 dB for progear). They are designed for mic level input (e.g., -30 dB), and will clip if they receive a line level input. If you intend to feed them line level balanced input, you shoud use a pad in front of the input to the MA-100, 30 dB should be sufficient.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Major Player

The studio one will work just fine, but it has to go into the front mic 1/8" input. I have a Sign Video XLR adapter, which works well on either of my XL1s's as well as my GL1. It is similar to your Studio One adapter. I also have the MA 100 and 200 (came with the cameras). Like Don indicated, any kind of +4db input will distort on the MA 100 & 200.

Since you already have an XLR adapter, the value of the MA adapters is a bit moot.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:57 PM   #7
Major Player

I would stay away from the 4-channel goodness of DV. I've used it. I used to run the stereo mic into 1/2 and had a shotgun/lav on 3/4. The second pass to capture really puts a kink the workflow process, though it does work.

But what really got me, was the number of dropouts I would get. I've shots 100s of hours of footage, and my take is that the only trouble I've really had w/ audio is when I was 4 channel. Maybe that's not scientific enough for some, but dang - you'd have to poll-whip me to get me to shoot 4-channel again...

I did all this with an XL-1s and an MA-200.
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Butler View Post
I would stay away from the 4-channel goodness of DV. I've used it. I used to run the stereo mic into 1/2 and had a shotgun/lav on 3/4. The second pass to capture really puts a kink the workflow process, though it does work.

But what really got me, was the number of dropouts I would get. I've shots 100s of hours of footage, and my take is that the only trouble I've really had w/ audio is when I was 4 channel. Maybe that's not scientific enough for some, but dang - you'd have to poll-whip me to get me to shoot 4-channel again...

I did all this with an XL-1s and an MA-200.
Agree. I always record audio 2 channel into my XL1s.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog