Going with the Canon - $6,000 in hand! Need advice... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 24th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #16
Major Player

I would rather get a real monitor than spend the money on the LCD, mainly because I'll be looking through the viewfinder, and the director will need to see the footage as well, and I don't think it will work with him standing around me, getting in the way while he tries to watch the LCD.

Now I'm starting to run out of money hehe.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 11:51 AM   #17
Warden

Not meaning to change the subject, but what are you using for a tripod and what kind of budget do you have for one?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 12:45 PM   #18
Major Player

well I have a few hundred dollars left at the most for a tripod. I know I've seen tripods in the thousands, but I really don't think I'll need anything major. I currently have a real cheap one (non fluid head). Can you recommend something in that range that would be good for the XL1s? I've browsed through the pod forum but I am a bit confused about what's the best value for the money.

I ordered the camera from www.zgc.com today, and they said it should arrive tomorrow! Can't wait!
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:18 PM   #19
Major Player

Sure thang...

Im using the BOGEN MANFROTTO 3246 with the 501 HEAD. The tripod has a geared center column, and can be raised, well... very high (8+ feet) and still be stable. You'll just need a ladder to reach it.

I wouldn't want to lug it around to long, though I have modified it with two clips and a leather strap as a sling.

The 501 Head has been excellent!

Cost: 501 Head (BH Photo) 145.00
Cost: 3246 Tripod (JandR) 185.00

Avoid cheap-O tripods. My friends XL1S fell off one and it never has been the same. Even after sending it to Canon. The footage that he captured looks like uneditable crap, its starts out good, then the camera looks like it hits some choppy water. He's twisted the locks on the head so tight they don't work anymore.

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:22 PM   #20
Major Player

Awesome! I like that tripod (at least what I can see now)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/product/191754/BO3046B3433/REG/5137

thanks for the info. Good price too!
Old April 24th, 2003, 01:26 PM   #21
Major Player

We'll help yah spend it...

Its a good investment! Though I have a longing for the Cine-Alta...

Cheers!
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #22
Major Player

Why did you decide to get the 16x manual and the 16x auto?
John Threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:08 PM   #23
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by John Threat : Why did you decide to get the 16x manual and the 16x auto? -->>>

Well, I'd been reading up on a lot of threads here, and the general feeling I got was that the auto lens would be nice to have, just in case I needed to service my manual lens, and because the auto lens has a slower zoom...plus I wouldn't mind having it for general hand held run around shooting.

I ordered the manual lens because I figured I would eventually need it for more focused shots on a tripod, plus I want to learn how to use such a lens, having only really used a VX2000 before. Do you think I made a wrong decision?
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:10 PM   #24
Obstreperous Rex

I don't think you made the wrong decision, Brad... each lens has its own particular application. Right tool, right job sort of thing.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #25
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

I agree that the auto lens is good to have. I bought my original XL1 with only the manual and 3x lenses, and missed not having the flexibility of the 16x auto's IS. When I bought my XL1s I intentionally got the 16x auto lens with it.

Good call, Brad.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #26
Major Player

I can't wait for my Canon to arrive! I've never been so excited before. It was supposed to arrive today but I think UPS is delaying it until Monday. Argh!!
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:08 PM   #27
New Boot

Brad,
You may also want to consider a Pelican or Kata case for the system and all the accessories.

I am also looking closely at the FU 1000 viewfinder for the Canon, the colour viewfinder that it comes with is very difficult to get a good focus with in anything other than perfect conditions, it is a bit pricey though.

I see you have a shotgun mike, I use the same one with good results, have you also thought about a couple of lav mikes, especially wireless.

Hope this helps,

Best Regards

Steve G
Old April 25th, 2003, 04:19 PM   #28
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Steve,
If you haven't seen our FU-1000 article, it may be of interest to you a prospective buyer.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:06 PM   #29
Major Player

My Xl1s arrived today! Wow this thing is beautiful! I've been tinkering around with it all day and I love it! I got it from ZGC upon recommendation by this forum. Great service from those guys. Thanks again to you all for all the advise regarding my purchase.
Old April 28th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #30

Hi Brad,

My $00.02:

It sounds to me like you are looking to make a quantum leap from your current gear situation (VX2000, etc). I suggest you go for the Canon 16X Manual/ Servo lens. That is the one lens I use the most with the XL1S. I shoot handheld with this lens all the time. This is the lens I use the most. Same 72mm screw-on thread mount as the other XL lenses. Do I miss the IS when using the 16X M/S lens? No. I tend to use accessories which add a bit of weight to camera anyways, so it all balances out.

The Manfrotto 3283B/ 501 combo is your best value at the moment. Spend a little more and you can get the even nicer 503 head which has an extendable pan-handle (rather than a fixed length pan handle as on the 501) and a more fluid feel.

For an LCD panel, the Nebtek/ Panasonic NEB70XL is the way to go. You can buy this from ZGC as well.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog