Going with the Canon - $6,000 in hand! Need advice... - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 28th, 2003, 06:32 PM   #31
Warden

I agree with Don. I would not get two lenses, nearly identical, off the bat. Spend the extra money on the 3X if needed, or better tripod, or more batteries, or a case or . . . You get the picture, there are lots of things to spend money on rather than two lenses that are almost the same.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2003, 11:58 PM   #32
Wrangler

Agreed, you are better off with just one of the 16x lenses, plus the 3x, rather than only both of the 16x lenses.
Old April 29th, 2003, 06:48 PM   #33
Trustee

Brad, another thing that you might want to look at, if you're doing outside work is a blimp and a furry for your microphone to cut down wind noise.

As mentioned by Jeff, you'll want a case to hold that lovely camera in and stop it from getting smashed. I have an XM2 and use a plastic toolbox which I bought REAL cheap (NZ$17). While adequate at the moment, it's not particularly convenient and not watertight. I will eventually buy a proper one, but those things just seem ridiculously expensive for what they are....Hey what the hell am I saying, this is the video industry, everything is expensive ;)

Depending on whether you have some help or not, you might want a LANC controller so you can zoom and all that from the panhandle on the tripod and not have to touch the camera. I did a series of workshops at a conference over easter and I've decided I want one of those things real soon. I had to use the controls the on camera and while possible was a little awkward.

You mentioned the FILM DV filter kit. You might be able to do without that and do your stuff in post if you want to save some $$. Some people here recommend just shooting clean and doing it in post, that way you get most freedom of choice.

Cheers
Aaron
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 03:29 AM   #34
Major Player

Thanks Aaron, and everyone else. I'll look into all of these things. So many accessories, so little cash now. ;)
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog