DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XLR to mini Adapter (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/8949-xlr-mini-adapter.html)

Alexis Vazquez April 24th, 2003 01:55 PM

XLR to mini Adapter

I'm planning to buy the Sennheiser EW112P Lavalier and the MA200, but I can't find anywhere the plug converter to connect them. I know Sennheiser has one, but no where to find it. Does a RShack adapter does is right? Any idea on where to buy it?

Thanks,

Alexis

Ed Frazier April 24th, 2003 03:17 PM

Alexis, when I ordered the EW112P set from B&H, it came with all the necessary cables to connect the receiver to the MA200. The cable is labeled CL100 and has a mini plug on one end and male three pin XLR on the other. I don't know if that was added to the kit by B&H or is supplied by Sennheiser. It is not listed as part of the kit in the instruction manual, but I didn't order it separately.

Peter Moore April 24th, 2003 03:59 PM

You can definitely get an XLR to 1/4", and then a 1/4" to mini (1/8"). The XLR to 1/4" works fine, so converting that to mini should be no problem.

Alexis Vazquez April 25th, 2003 06:19 AM

Thanks Ed and Peter for your help,
I hope it came with the Sennheiser original adapter, (I hate having cables all around)

Thanks again,

Did I mention this is a great forum? God I 've been reading more posted messages than in all my College years together! (of course this is absolutly more fun.

Dan Keaton April 27th, 2003 06:13 PM

Dear Alexis,

A simple Radio Shack adapter works great. Just buy part number 274-871 and plug the standard mini-plug into the adapter, then plug the adapter into your left or right channel, using Audio 1 or 2, as you so desire.

The adapter is a mono adapter, the tip is the signal, and the ring is the ground. The Sennheiser output mini-plug is a tip, ring, sleeve plug, but with the output signal on both the tip and the ring. In other words, the Sennheiser output mini-plug uses a stereo mini-plug, but the output is actually mono.

The adapter works great. I have two of the Sennheiser EW112p units, and two adapters, I have one wireless mic on the left channel and one on the right.

The adapter 274-871, is a mono to mono, shielded plug adapter, with a 1/8" mono mini-phone plug and it plugs into the standard RCA phono jack on the XL1s. It is a gold-plated adapter and sells for $2.99 each.

The MA-200 connections to the xl1s would not be needed in this setup, at least on the one channel that uses the wireless mic. The EW112p has unbalanced output and the MA-200 (or MA-100) is just not needed.

Alexis Vazquez April 27th, 2003 08:43 PM

Thanks Dan for your Info. I'll be recieving the Senheiser this week, Thanks.
Are you using them on the camera? How do get them tide together?

Alexis

Dan Keaton April 28th, 2003 11:19 AM

Dear Alexis,

I am not quite sure what you mean by "tide together".

Yes, I use two Sennheiser Ew112p units on the camera. I mount one using the supplied velco type tape. The receiver is mounted on the handle, on the same side as the microphone. Then, I attached the second receiver via rubber bands to the first one.

With the Sennheiser Ew112p and the built-in microphone on the XL1s, you have great flexibility.

1. Use the on-board mike and use 1 or 2 wireless mic's. When using more than 2 channels, you are limited to 12 bit audio, but you do get four channels. I would not use this setup for music or any extremely critical recording.

2. You can plug one wireless mic into the on-board mic's jack, and you will get the one channel recorded on both channels. The plug on the receiver will plug directly into the on-board microphone's input jack.

3. With the Radio Shack 274-871 adapter, you can plug one wireless mic into either channel of Audio 1 or Audio 2. You can plug another wireless mic into the other channel, using a second adapter.

With a separate audio recorder, you could use the on-camera mike for ambient audio, and then record one or more wireless mikes via the audio recorder.

Each of the above methods requires you to configure the camera properly by specifiying the proper input and level.

Bob Deming May 12th, 2003 08:56 PM

Wire & Connectors

I purchase my cable and sometimes terminated cables from Shane at Clark Wire & Cable. I buy bulk cable and terminate my own mostly.

Just got some cables today for the Senn 100 to the AKG XLR C1000S mic which has P power in the mic (9v bat). It works great. I also hooked up to my AT815 to test it.

The idea of purchasing from Shane is the same service and quality as you get with ZGC.

www.clarkwc.com/

They use the good connectors! Like Neutrik. Check out their site. They don't use junk wire either. Like the crap ya buy on eBay.

They will make up anything you need. They also have a nice "pin out book" and a few diagrams on their site.

Someday I want to be a "pro" so I start with good products.

Cheers