DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Are Canon commonly shy? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/8982-canon-commonly-shy.html)

Christopher Hughes April 25th, 2003 06:23 PM

Are Canon commonly shy?

We I have just got back from the IOV (Institute of Videography) exhibition here in the UK. It was a nice opportunity to see some of the latest gear in action, and get to touch it rather than just see and read about it on the internet.

However I hope to be able to see and handle the Canon manual lens and see how the B&W viefinder equates to the regular one. I have heard greatness about the manual lens and people saying its 100 times better images! But alas to my shock Canon were not there! and the only XL1s I saw was one that an young student brought to buy a filter bellows set and MA-200 and see how they fit.

JVC were there, as too were Panasonic and Sony flashing of latest camcorders, Harddrive recorders, etc. other companies like Optex, Filter dealers, Camcorder dealers, Pinnacle, Canopus, Ulead, Apple, etc. But NO CANON! So whats up with Canon? Are they this shy in the USA. I thought they would be there flashing off the XL1s for its "film like" smoothness over the Sony PD150 and X10, and ability to use other lenese like Arri Cine lenses, etc.

But nothing from Canon. Real shame! See we here in Europe dont have the advantage of Canon Owners Club, and even going to a yearly National meet of camcorder gear, Canon are not there for us owners to chat to Canon, gain ideas, see latest gear. NOTHING!
Shame, as where I live there is no "decent" camcorder stores. For photographic exhibitons I go to in my little city, even all the big companies turn out. But at a National Videography Event, Canon don't even turn up with just brochures. Perhaps the event was not "professional" enough for them. Yet everyone the XL1s market is aimed at was there. So when everyone talks about B&W finder and Manual lens. I guess I will just have to wait and see some other time.

Andrew Petrie April 25th, 2003 07:26 PM

Us Canadians don't apply for the Canon Owners Club either. Shame really, since we're right next door, and have the same NTSC standards. Hell I bet a good chunk of Cannucks bought theirs from the states :)

Canon reps at authorized stores around my city don't know squad about Canon's video line. I really have nowhere else to go other than DVinfo.

Don Palomaki April 26th, 2003 04:09 AM

Every so often there is speculation that Canon maintains a relatively low profile in the camcorder market because they sell lenses for the PRO market, and they do not want to spoil relationships for their big ticket items by getting too much in direct competition with Sony, JVC, Panasonic, etc.

Jon Eriksson April 28th, 2003 07:07 AM

This might be true, but they are not attending the Production Show (www.productionshow.com) which is coming up in May. This is aimed at the professional market, but at least the last couple of years - when I've been going - Canon has not been there either. Obviously some of their gear is used and sold by companies being there, but not the company itself.

Not sure why they have such a low profile in the UK...