XL1S training at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 28th, 2003, 10:49 AM   #1
New Boot

XL1S training

Can anyone recommend a good training manual/course on the XL1S ?

Thanks

Steve G
Old April 28th, 2003, 07:38 PM   #2
Wrangler

I use to ask that question all the time. Most of what I learned I read here on the Internet starting right here at the Watchdog.

I can't remember if it was Chris Hurd (DVinfo.net) or Hal Linden (Video University) but his (their?) advice was to attend a photography course offered by your local camera store. Learning composition, exposure, etc. has its root in still photography. The rest is audio and motion. Tips on the latter are discussed all through this board.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 08:53 AM   #3
Major Player

Steve - if you're an IFP/LA member they do a monthly training session on the camera. It's a couple hours long and basiclaly goes over the camera from end to end.

You can search this board for any speific questions ~ lots of good info here and the watchdog articals.
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:04 AM   #4
Capt. Quirk

Who is the IFP/LA group? Is there someone similar in Florida?
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 11:38 AM   #5
Major Player

http://www.ifp.org

Check it out ~ slow site though
Mark Argerake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Capt. Quirk

Thanks for the info Mark. It seems the closest one is in Miami. That's a 3 hour drive from me. I will look into it further... maybe it will be worth the long drive.
K. Forman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 04:38 PM   #7
New Boot

Mark,

Thanks for the info on the IFP, I hadn't come across them before, but I will certainly be signing up for it.

Nathan, thanks for the advice as well. I am like you, and most of what I have learned has been through trial and error, and from this site. However, my wife is very keen to learn how to use the camera, and rather like learning to drive, it is probably better is someone else shows her !!!!.

Once again thanks for all the advice

regards

Steve G
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:54 AM   #8
Regular Crew

There are also some video training tapes if that is your style. I got a tape off Ebay from Elite Video. It gose over the XL1 in good detail and if you have the S model you will need to know how to transfer the info to apply.

A lot of people just learn from practice. When you have a specific question on some creative stuff ask and search here.

Maybe it is not not just XL1 training you need but some camera techiques. There are plenty of tapes and training classes for that. I have purchased a few tapes over the years and they help.
www.katanapro.com
Marcus Farrar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog