Differences in Filter Lenses at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 6th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Differences in Filter Lenses

Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum and its GREAT! I'm a new owner of a Canon XL1 so please excuse the errors, correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, I just bought a 3 set Lense filter kit from Ebay. I know generally what each one does but I'm not sure when to use each one. I'm still not sure as to when to use the Polarized lenses and when to use the UV. And is it pointless to have the polarized lenses on even though the XL1 has an ND filter?
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2007, 10:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
Hey everyone. I've been reading this forum and its GREAT! I'm a new owner of a Canon XL1 so please excuse the errors, correct me if I'm wrong.

First of all, I just bought a 3 set Lense filter kit from Ebay. I know generally what each one does but I'm not sure when to use each one. I'm still not sure as to when to use the Polarized lenses and when to use the UV. And is it pointless to have the polarized lenses on even though the XL1 has an ND filter?
The UV filter is supposed to block UV light which helps to provide clearer looking images. It does not affect color balance. Most people always keep a UV filter on their lenses to protect the sometimes fragile coating on the front glass element. Cost of filters is directly related to quality. A cheap filter can cause more harm to images. My UV filters cost around $80 US.

A polarizing filter is designed to allow only parrallel light rays through the lens. This reduces diffraction from reflective surfaces like glass and water as well as saturating colors. A polarizing lens has two surfaces. The outer surface can be rotated to adjust the degree of clarity. Polarizing filters are most effective when the lens is pointed 90 degrees to the path of the sun. Polarizing filters reduce light passing through the lens, so perform a role like that of ND filters.

Additional ND filters may or may not be useful. The decision will have to do with exposure, lighting conditions, and the look you want to achieve.
Old April 8th, 2007, 03:29 PM   #3
Wrangler

With a close focusing camcorder with lots of depth of field, any dust, dirt, etc. on a filter can become apparent in the image, especially if side lit and it is bright so the lens is stopped down. In general, only use filters when they will provide a real benefit to the image you are recording.

I do not use a UV filter for most of my work. The lens hood provides some protection for most purposes around adults acting like adults.. The front glass in the XL1 standard lens is actually a piece of flat optical glass. It protects the VAP and provides no focusing or zoom services. Not cheap or easy to repace if it gets trashed, but worth noting its purpose.

Try the filters in various test shooting situations to decide what their capabilites and benefits (and liabilities) are in terms of your shooting.
Old April 8th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
A polarizing lens has two surfaces. The outer surface can be rotated to adjust the degree of clarity.
I was wondering why it had two layers. I guess that clears it up!

Thanks for the Lenses 1101 lesson guys.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Another effect of polarising filters is that they enable you to look into water at a shallower angle and be able to see past the surface reflection, reefs and weed beds under the water, sharks, that sort of thing.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:44 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Nguyen View Post
I was wondering why it had two layers. I guess that clears it up!

Thanks for the Lenses 1101 lesson guys.
If you really want to have some fun with your still camera with long time exposures in bright sunlight, stack two polarizing filters on the lens. Set the first filter to your liking and secure its front element against movement with tape. Add the second polarizing filter and adjust until you can barely see your subject matter through the viewfinder. You can take very long time exposures on the brightest of days and get some amazing results.

You should be able to adjust the front filter to block all light from passing through the lens.

Something to do when you are bored.
Old April 10th, 2007, 02:06 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldemar Winkler View Post
If you really want to have some fun with your still camera with long time exposures in bright sunlight, stack two polarizing filters on the lens. Set the first filter to your liking and secure its front element against movement with tape. Add the second polarizing filter and adjust until you can barely see your subject matter through the viewfinder. You can take very long time exposures on the brightest of days and get some amazing results.

You should be able to adjust the front filter to block all light from passing through the lens.

Something to do when you are bored.

Hahaha... sounds like plan.
Tony Nguyen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog