DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Spot on lens... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/9087-spot-lens.html)

Brad Simmons April 29th, 2003 12:32 AM

Spot on lens...

Hey guys. I just got my new XL1s today. When I look through the viewfinder, I see a tiny little dot left of center of the frame. At first I thought this was a spec of dust, so I cleaned the lens. The spec is still there and it's very obvious now that I can see it.

On a white background, it clearly appears as a black dot. On a black background, it appears white. When I view the footage in VCR mode on the camera, I see the dot.

However, when I view footage on my NTSC monitor directly connected to the camera via S-video, I do not see the dot.

Strange eh? Whatever the case, it's so small, but my eye is drawn to it and it's annoying. Could it be a scratch inside the lens or something?

Ken Tanaka April 29th, 2003 12:54 AM

Brad,
Where exactly are you seeing this spot? In the viewfinder? If so, it may be a dead or flaky pixel in the viewfinder's LCD. Annoying but of no consequence to your footage.

Brad Simmons April 29th, 2003 12:59 AM

Hi Ken, thanks for the response.

Yes I am seeing it when I look through the viewfinder. I wasn't sure if it was a viewfinder problem or a lens problem. You're right, it doesn't appear to effect the actual footage. I captured a little and can't see the dot. When I get another lens I'll be able to test it out and if I still see the problem I should assume it is the viewfinder and not the lens...right? I guess I can live with it. ;-)

Ken Tanaka April 29th, 2003 01:05 AM

Sounds like the viewfinder to me.

Jeff Donald April 29th, 2003 01:09 AM

The dot only appears in the view finder? If you play the tape back on a monitor you don't see the dot? It sounds like the LCD screen in the VF has a dead pixel. Call where you bought it. They will probably exchange it for you. Dead pixels are not uncommon on LCD screens. If you search the topic you'll find several threads on the subject.

One of my students just bought a very expensive Dell laptop and it has a dead pixel. She never noticed it until I pointed it out to her. She was so upset. They even happen on very expensive screens.

Andrew Petrie April 29th, 2003 08:36 AM

Carefully inspect the viewfinder eyepiece. I thought I've found a dead pixel on a few occasions, but closer inspection revealed a small spec of lint/whatever on the eyepiece glass (sometimes on the inside)

It's easy to notice if you view the LCD away from the eyepiece a bit, and move from side to side and up and down. Given the distance of the LCD from the glass, you'll see dirt 'float' across the picture.

If it's not dirt, it's most likely a dead pixel, warranty repair. :)

Brad Simmons April 29th, 2003 09:36 AM

thanks for the helpful advice guys. I looked thouroughly and cleaned the viewfinder and it's still there, I think it must be a dead pixel. Not that big of a deal but I think I'll send it back in a week or so. thanks again guys!

Don Palomaki April 29th, 2003 05:02 PM

Do not delay, if sending it back contact the vendor as soon as possible to get an RMA (or what ever their procedure is). Some places do have a short time limit on returns.