Vancouver repairs? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 29th, 2003, 11:50 AM   #1
Wrangler

Vancouver repairs?

Question for XL1 users in B.C.

Any one know of a good repair place in Vancouver or B.C. for that matter, that can fix my XL1 for less money than the Alberta Canon repair depot.

A little back history for you here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=6072

Now the new problem(s):
I use the 14X manual lens, and since I had my camera returned to me, I have been having extreme focusing problems. At first I thought it was the back focus, but I have tried everything. I have contacted the service department in Alberta and they offered no suggestions as to what the problem might be. Could it be the mirrors are out of alignment? They don't know. Send it in, they say. Fine, I'll send it in.

Grid lines/screen door mesh? I ask, could it be that my camera has the same problem as the original XL1s?
I quote this thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...ht=green+lines
No idea, never heard of that problem before, send it in.

How about this problem:
On Sunday, I'm shooting the last day of LadyX episode 3.
Extremely fast shutter (1/8000), UV filter, Frame mode, all manual everything. half of the footage has a green mist covering about 1/3 of the screen. At first I thought it was a flare issue, not the case. The Sun was all over the place. Any idea? Send it in.

Normally I wouldn't have a problem "sending anything in", however as you read from my above original post, the last time I sent it to the Alberta repair depot, I got my camera back, still with the same problem, but now I was $1500 deeper in debt. To make things worse, the camera casing wasn't even put back together properly. I had to take it appart and then re-assemble it myself.

So, their lack of any possible solution, and their outrageous fees, makes me hesitant to send my XL1 back to the Alberta repair depot.

Help me Obi-wan, you are my last hope - Nori
Nori Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:02 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Nori

That lens is manual focus only. It doesn't interact very much with the camera. You should be able to get away with sending in the lens only. If it costs too much to repair, then you can replace that lens for about $900 or so. In fact I thought Ken had one for sale.

Also try to find another lens and see if your camera exhibits the same problems... you know, isolate it down to the camera head or the lens. With all the DVi members in Vancouver, you should have no trouble rounding up a few lenses to try. Good luck,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 12:14 PM   #3
Wrangler

Thanks for the amazingly fast response again Chris! Unfortunately Vancouver is about 4 hours from Kelowna, and I don't know anyone here in town that even has an XL1, let alone that lens.

-Nori
Old April 29th, 2003, 01:44 PM   #4
Outer Circle

E-mail: peter@leoscamera.com
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29th, 2003, 02:01 PM   #5
Wrangler

Thanks Frank,

Thats where I bought my camera from. Maybe I'll give them a buzz.

-Nori
Old April 29th, 2003, 05:09 PM   #6
Wrangler

<<<-- Originally posted by Nori Wentworth : Thanks for the amazingly fast response again Chris! Unfortunately Vancouver is about 4 hours from Kelowna, and I don't know anyone here in town that even has an XL1, let alone that lens.

-Nori -->>>

You're in luck. I'll be in Kelowna this weekend, and will have all my lenses with me, including the 14x. I can meet you somewhere Friday evening when I arrive, around 7-8pm.
How's that sound?
Old April 30th, 2003, 11:25 AM   #7
Wrangler

That sounds awesome Dylan!

How long are you in town for?

My band is playing Thurs/Fri/Sat night from 9pm - 1am @ O'flannigans Pub (Sgt. O'flahertys).

So any time before that would be cool.

Let me know.

-Nori
Old April 30th, 2003, 08:32 PM   #8
Wrangler

In town until Monday I think, chilling at my parents place, for some hardcore rest and relaxation.

It looks like we will be leaving Vancouver at noon, Friday. I'll be driving the minivan, so we'll probably be there at 4pm or so. I don't know Kelowna all that well, but just before going across the bridge into Kelowna, there is a putting golf course called 19 Greens (I think). Do you want to meet me in the parking lot there around 4-4:30pm? I'll give you a phone call when I'm about 15 mins or so from there.
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:47 PM   #9
Wrangler

I'm at work until 5:30.

But I don't have a problem with you coming here.

If thats cool the address is:

Wentworth Music
1511 Sutherland Ave

To get here, you stay on Highway 97 (Harvey Ave.) and turn right on Burtch (the next set of lights after Gordon Dr.), you'll go about half a block and you will hit a 4-way stop which I'm right on the corner of.

It's about 5 minutes into town. If you hit the mall, you've gone too far.

Hows that sound?
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:38 PM   #10
Wrangler

AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Trip is POSTPONED until next weekend!! Just talked to my parents and they both have the flu so we are postponing the trip until next weekend.
Old May 2nd, 2003, 10:19 AM   #11
Wrangler

Sorry to here that you can't make it this weekend.

Hopefully get to meet you next weekend.

I must also apologize for sounding like such a space case on the phone... 4 hours of sleep after playing all night will do that to you I guess.

-Nori
Old May 3rd, 2003, 08:24 AM   #12
Wrangler

No problem, I went to bed at midnight, but got up at 5am, still didn't have any coffee by the time I called you. I think I went back to sleep after we talked.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog