16 bit to 12 bit with Canon XL1s - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 01:18 PM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Ann, if you play the tape from the XL1 in VCR mode, do you see anything on the tape after 18 minutes? Is it possible the recording ended somehow at that point?

By the way, I went to K State for a couple of years, marooned in the back of Seaton Hall with other struggling lower division architecture students... fond memories of a lot of great shows in McCain when I should have been in the library. Ran projectors at the Campus and Varsity in Aggieville.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:52 AM   #17
New Boot

Chris, actually I have played the tape from the XL1 in VCR mode, this was how I discovered that it was at the 18 minute point it switched from 16 bit to 12 bit, no audio and image went black suddenly; I am wondering if it is an electronic defect in the camera; it's only about a year old;
interesting that you spent some time here on the prairie!! I help the arch dept with some of their lecture series; what are you doing now?
interestingly, there are still students marooned in the back of Seaton; ..... the Varsity theatre is long since gone, tis transformed into an extension of Varney's bookstore, pepps
P. Ann Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 01:49 PM   #18
New Boot

<<<-- Originally posted by Brad Simmons : <<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : 18 minutes sounds suspiciously like a 4GB limit...... -->>>

...18 minutes is around the limit on windows machines if I'm not mistaken. -->>>

The maximum file size limit (i.e. 4GB) is related to the file system that is in use on the PC.

Maximum File Size per File System
FAT16: 2GB
FAT32: 4GB
NTFS: 2,000GB

Therefore whenever possible try to use NTFS as your primary file system. It's a much more reliable and secure file system. WIN NT/2K/XP all support NTFS
Cazi Brasga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 04:25 PM   #19
Wrangler

I am at a loss to guess what has happened to your tape. Short of looking at the tape live and in person, but I am not in Kansas.

Is time code recorded after the 18 minute mark?

How was the camcorder setup duringhte shoot? Automatic or manual mode? external mic? MA-100/200? etc.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog