16 bit to 12 bit with Canon XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old April 30th, 2003, 10:18 AM   #1
New Boot

16 bit to 12 bit with Canon XL1s

recently I was videotaping using the Canon XL1s, I monitored the audio with earphones and watched the viewscreen; there was no indication that anything was wrong until I downloaded the tape; 18 minutes into the tape the audio disappeared and the image went black, when I played the tape back in the camera I noticed that it changed from 16 bit to 12 bit at the 18 minute mark, my question is what caused this to happen?
P. Ann Epps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:38 AM   #2
Warden

Hi Ann,

What happened after the glitch at 18 minutes? Did the tape stay in 12 bit or go back to 16 bit after the glitch? If it switched back, the momentary switch to 12 bit was just the camera trying to figure out how to play back the glitch. It may switch SP to LP at the glitch also.

If it switched to 12 bit and didn't switch back it sounds like a camera problem.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:52 AM   #3
New Boot

Jeff, the camera stayed in 12 bit, interestingly, the video download was not one continuous stream, i.e. it was split at the 18 minute mark,
we did a test using another tape and it seemed to work fine but I am really hesitant to use it again for fear of losing footage
many thanks for your reply, pepps
Old April 30th, 2003, 10:53 AM   #4
Warden

Was it a new or used tape?

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:19 PM   #5
New Boot

Jeff, it was a brand new tape, phyllis
Old April 30th, 2003, 12:47 PM   #6
Sponsor: JET DV

18 minutes sounds suspiciously like a 4GB limit......
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 01:01 PM   #7
Major Player

<<<-- Originally posted by Edward Troxel : 18 minutes sounds suspiciously like a 4GB limit...... -->>>

That's what I'm thinking.

You say it's fine on the actual tape, but when you captured it...after 18 minutes of capture it goes bad? Were you capturing it all at once? 18 minutes is around the limit on windows machines if I'm not mistaken.
Brad Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 02:31 PM   #8
Warden

I'm not following you, Ann. Are you saying that your tape has a glitch or you have a problem capturing your tape to your computer? There is no 4gig limit on a tape, but your OS could impose a capture limit. The download process would not change the audio bit rate. Either the operator accidentally changed the rate or the camera glitched in the record process.

Old April 30th, 2003, 04:15 PM   #9
Wrangler

Was the change in mode at the a break between scenes? Did some time elapse between the scenes whre the audio mode changed? As far as I know, you have to be in the menu to make the change in audio mode, but that can be done with the wireless remote control.

Can you share any additional information about the shoot and other circumstances surrounding this happening.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:17 PM   #10
New Boot

I detected the problem when I downloaded the DV to an editing program; however, I believe that the actual conversion from 16 bit to 12 bit took place in the camera during the taping and I don't know why this happened; I discovered that this conversion took place by placing the tape in the camera and watching it in the viewfinder, I noticed the conversion there, any clues?
Old April 30th, 2003, 04:23 PM   #11
New Boot

Don, this was a continuous taping, i.e. no breaks in the scenes and I was not using a remote;

Also, there was no problem downloading the DV to the editing program, it just came in black with no audio after 18 miniute; I know it's not a problem with the editing program or my system cause the tape plays this way in the camera using the VCR.
thanks for your continued help.......
Old April 30th, 2003, 07:41 PM   #12
Wrangler

Hmmm. Really unusual. BTW. what is type of PC, NLE program, and operating system that are you using?

As I understand the posts:
1. When playing and watching the camcorder analog output on a monitor (or in the viewfinder) it continues to play OK thorugh the 18-minute point with normal sounding audio, and the audio mode changes to 12-bit without missing a beat or droping a frame.
2. If you try to capture using your NLE, it burps at the 18-minute point.
3. If you start the capture just past the 18-minute point, capture is normal, but from 12-bit audio.

Would be interesting to see the tape on which this happens.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:46 AM   #13
New Boot

Don, yes your observations are correct, except for #3, capturing past the 18 minute mark is not normal, there is a break in the capture, i.e. it splits and the image goes black with no audio.
in answer to your questions;
NLE is Vegas 4, operating system is Wind XP pro ver 2002, computer Pent 4 CPU 2.40 GHz, 1.00 GB RAM, (I have pretty much ruled out the computer and operating system since I tried it on a Mac station and got the same 18 minutes of good video and then black with no audio) rather I am thinking that it has something to do with the cam but am at a loss as to what,
many thanks for your reply, pepps
Old May 1st, 2003, 07:05 PM   #14
Wrangler

What happens if you start the capture just after the 18-minute point, so the NLE does nto se the earlier segment with different audio parameter? Can you capture OK then? What is the sound then?
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:54 PM   #15
New Boot

Don, I tried this but there just doesn't seem to be any digital information there either audio or video, pepps
P. Ann Epps is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog