Exporting to vhs via the xl1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:00 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Exporting to vhs via the xl1

Hello,
I need to make a couple dozen copies of a play I shot on my xl1 (not 's'). I do not want to wear out my heads.
I have uploaded it to my computer and edited through premiere. I wish to export the timeline directly to vhs.
Can I use my xl1 as a digital to analog converter in order to do this?
If not, what are my other options? It looks like a dvd burner might be the cheapest method. (I tried burning copies from a 'master' vhs copy, but the quality is just awful. From DVD I would mantain a high enough quality making vhs copies directly from this.) Please offer any suggestions.

Thank you,
Jim

ps perhaps a cheap mini-dv cam capable of this conversion would be a worthwhile investment - I could then use it as an editing deck as well. ???
Jim Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 12:32 PM   #2
Major Player

Jim,

I did this with my XL1S. I am using Avid Xpress and I did a 'manual' digital cut with the RCA's from the back of the XL1S attached to the VCR. It worked like a charm. (Now that I have my new card I am able to output directly to the VCR.) I am not familiar with output features of Premiere.

Hope this helps...

COMPUTER-->FIREWIRE-->XL1S-->RCA AUDIO/VIDEO-->VCR

I've been looking into purchasing a low end 1CCD camera for an editing deck also. I have been convinced otherwise to save my pennies for a deck built to handle the stops/starts/cues.
Derrick Begin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2003, 02:15 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you for your response.

This is exactly what I had tried (with no success). However, I may be doing it wrong on the Premiere end.

Also, perhaps the xl-1s can accomplish this and not the xl-1. I know that going the other way (analog to digital) this is true.

Anyone know the specifics?

Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 07:13 AM   #4
Warden

It may not pass through the signal. But you can send a FireWire signal in and record that to tape (Becomes Master Tape). Then hook up the RCA outs to your VHS decks and make your copies.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:22 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If I understand you correctly, you mean: do a standard export to mini-dv then make copies from this tape to vhs. (?)
This is exactly what I was trying to avoid. I'm worried about burning up my heads . . . That's almost 40 hours on my xl-1 for nothing.

Please Help!!

Thanks.
Old May 3rd, 2003, 11:47 AM   #6
Wrangler

It would surprise me if the XL-1 could not do this, but I don't have any experience with it unfortunately. Just a thought, instead of buying a cheap DV camera like you mentioned, it would probably be cheaper to buy a PCI video card that offers NTSC output and hook your deck up to it. Alternately, there are firewire boxes that would also provide NTSC and I think they would also be much cheaper than a camcorder.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 02:30 PM   #7
Warden

You'll need to use some other device because the XL1 (XL1S) do not pass through the signal in Real Tiime. It must be recorded to tape first.

There are different devices to use such as most consumer camcorders, AD to DA devices like the Dazzle Bridge and Formac Studio, or PCI video cards as Boyd suggests.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog