Need African advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 3rd, 2003, 03:38 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need African advice

I'm going to be traveling to Mozambique next
month as part of a documentary skeleton
crew, in the bush country. Taking my XL1 (as
well as my GL1) -
Can any of you cowboys offer any advice as
to vitals I need to know/take along to keep my
cameras in healthy working order? (There is a strict travel weight limit, so I can't carry a LOT
of extras)
Scott Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2003, 06:16 AM   #2
Warden

These threads will give you a start on researching your topic. Many of us have been to Africa and can answer specific questions that you have. There are quite a few members from Africa that can advise you best on current conditions and travel restrictions etc.

The search function should prove invaluable in your research. To get started use the button in the upper right.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Where to Buy? From the best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2003, 07:07 PM   #3
Tourist

Hi, lucky you!

I love working in Africa, love the people, and love the colors I get on tape out of it. My advice for 2 cents:

Bring extra batteries, and verify electrival sources on the way.

Get giant zip-loc plastic bags for those days you'll be eating sand or slurping rain. You don't want your camera on the same diet. You may like to bring some pressurized air-in-a-can for. Definitely a cleaning cassette!!!

Get the Canon filter kit, with ND, UV, and Polarizing. You can leave polarizing on all the time, for that matter, if you are forced to shoot in the broad daylight. Otherwise, try to concentrate your shoots in the first three and last three hours of the day.

Bring a white and silver reflector.

What else?.. a chamois for your eyepiece, and you don't want to get your sun creams nor mosquito repellent to come in contact with the camera.

If you ever spend nights nights in air conditioned hotels at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, and you go out into 105 degree temperatures with high humidity, you may want to use the plastic bag a little longer, or your lens will fog up!

Finally don't leave the eyepiece turned up into the sun, and don't leave the camera itself in a car under the sun, or at anytime, for that matter.

Safe trip!
Robert Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:46 AM   #4
RED Code Chef

I leave my UV on all the time, not my polarizer since it can alter
your image. Most people btw say that the Canon filters aren't
that good a quality. You'd be better off with some Tiffen filters.

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 06:55 AM   #5
Trustee

Scott, African is magnificent. Bring extra tape, battaries and, a couple of really cheap electrical items like hair driers. I use these to test the current before I plug in my charger. Even with the voltage regulater and adapters I blew out a hair drier at my hotel in Nirobie. Thank God it was the drier and NOT the charger. Oh, do take an extra charger, and if you can make it a car charger. Also, please let your insurance company and credit card company know you are going overseas and for how long. I always take a lot of old T-shirts. I were them, them trade them to locals. They love it and I don't have to lug them home. I also use one to stick my camcorder into as a dust cover on the road. If you want to make a big hit with the kids bring pencils to give away. I prefer a bulb duster and small brush over air-in-a-can. I feel that the compressed air is much to strong for the insides of a camcorder. Also, another trick is to carry a small roll of blue tape that house painters use to paint molding. I put it around the tape eject door and it really keeps the dust out and peels off without leaving a trace. Also, a small zip lock bag with Q-tips, large rubber bands, a small tube of glue, an eyeglass repair kit with small screw drivers (I fixed my eye piece in the field with this once, an eyeglass repair kit with small screw drivers, and bandaids. Other than that, have fun and remember, shoot long, edit short. Bob
Bob Safay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2003, 09:44 AM   #6
Regular Crew

some good advice

One thing else to concider is your shots!!!

You need lots, and they cost around 300$. Well worth the price.

I agree about the t-shirts. I gave a couple away, and they were so happy. Pencils are a great idea, cause kids are everywhere. I went into a bunch of schools while I was there, and they use there pencils till they hit the eraser. I found Pens where more a treat. I had a few extras, so I gave them away, and it was certainly well liked. They don't have pens.

Another key thing about the power is in some cities you only have pwer between 7pm and 11pm so it is not long to charge a battery. Bring two changers, plus a car charger. Going anywhere takes forever because of the bad roads, so you find a car chager most helpfull.

I am jealous, but I do get to go to Tanzania to make a documentary in Oct.

Good luck Mazungoo!!

mds
Old May 11th, 2003, 02:04 PM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Lohman : You'd be better off with some Tiffen filters
Jeff Donald might not agree with that! http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=9466

:-/
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:21 AM   #8
RED Code Chef

I would go with Jeff's advise. I probably mixed up some names.
Sorry about that!

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 10:27 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
I would go with Jeff's advise.
I did...B&W!

Quote:
I probably mixed up some names.
I do it all the time. If it weren't for the little "welcome back, Nigel Moore" at the top of the logon screen, I wouldn't know who I was! :D
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 12:54 PM   #10
Major Player

Might I suggest that you break down your travel kit into two parts: What you can ship ahead;

and; What you want to travel with you.

I always have my camera, cleaning, charging items, with me.

Ship the rest.

I think you will find going thru various officious agencies, worth the effort.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog