White speckles on image at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 5th, 2003, 10:45 AM   #1
Regular Crew

White speckles on image

Note to Chris, I have just resubscribed and once account is operational, I will log on with that account.

Now to my problem, I have noticed many white speckles on the image especially when filming outdoors.

When detaching the lens, On the body itself I see the white speckles that cannot be cleaned, on the littel green square glass.

Any ideas if Canon can simply replace that glass or is the problem a simple one that I can fix quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:45 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Elie,
Personally, I wouldn't mess with that glass, which I believe covers the CCD's. It's coatings may be quite delicate and you may do more harm than good. I hate to say it but I'd recommend having Canon service take care of it, probably by replacing that tiny glass altogether.

Do you have any idea how this happened?

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 09:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thank you Ken for the reply, yes I will bring it to Canon directly for service.
And to tell you the truth, I have no idea how this happened, I did lend the camera to a friend a few times, maybe he did something because he didn't understand the concept? Who know, But this goes to show and lessons learnt, "Do not give away your camera to anyone no matter how experienced they are"

Cheers,
Elie
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2003, 10:59 PM   #4
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

It sounds like the other lesson might be, "If you do loan your XL1s to a friend, make sure they don't have a bad cold, particularly if they will be changing lenses." (Aww, I know, that's gross.)

Elie, please let us know what Canon does with the cam. I'm sure that this is a problem that others here will face and it will be good to have follow-up reference for future guidance.

Best Regards,

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog