DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Good Camera Bags for XL1s? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/933-good-camera-bags-xl1s.html)

Denis Murphy February 12th, 2002 07:03 PM

Good Camera Bags for XL1s?

I need to buy a camera bag for my XL1s -- or perhaps two, hard and soft. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions? The soft bag is particularly urgent as I want to bring my camera to Europe in my carry on luggage in a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance

Denis

Ken Tanaka February 12th, 2002 09:16 PM

Hello Denis,

We just finished a thread on this topic in the General forum. The thread is still visible. Take a peek over there to catch up with it. There are some very good suggestions there.

Bruce Moore February 12th, 2002 10:14 PM

For a hard case I use the pelican 1620 case -ppk foam. In 6/2000 it cost me shipped $200.00

It has 4 layers of foam and with a little forethought you can create a case which can hold a lot of equipment and still be a great camera protecter. It.t airtight and waterproof(30ft.) has wheels and an additional pull out handle,

John Locke February 13th, 2002 02:50 AM

Denis,

If you go to Chris's XL-1 site at http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm, then click the "Articles Menu" link in the left menu, then also the "Storage & Transport" link, you'll see information on several options available.

For hard cases, I like the Kinetics KC821XL1-01 case. Hard to imagine more padding in a case.

For soft cases, I like one not shown by Kata. You can find info on it at the Canon XL-1s site.

Nathan Gifford February 13th, 2002 09:53 AM

If you want to roll your own hardcase...

Back around Christmas 2001 people pointed out the Sear Truck Tote as a good XL-1 hardcase. It will hold everything including a fully assembled XL-1. The case has a pull up handle and it rolls on wheels. While Sears rates them to 250#, I would not load them that heavy!

It does not have any padding. Sue, my wife, made me a custom cushion for case that affords reasonable protection. Te XK-1 is encased on all sides by this pillow.

The case is cavernous too. It holds all my XL-1 gear, including mics, cables, a carton of tapes, and my inverter. When I don't feel like lugging the tripod separately, I bungee cord it case.

One other guy on the list managed not only to get his XL-1 in the case, but his GL-1 too.

So for $49.95 its not bad.

The URL is http://www.sears.com/sr/product/summary/productsummary.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1184394809.1003682021@@@@&BV_EngineID=hiadccfjhhlgmbggcmgclchn.0 &targetPage=%2fproduct%2fsummary%2fproductsummary.jsp&vertical=TOOL&fromAuto=YES&pid=00959027000

Nathan Gifford

Nathan Gifford February 13th, 2002 09:55 AM

One other thing.

I forgot to add, the case will not sit upright in the trunk of the Corrolla, but will do fine in the Camry.

The other cases everyone are mention are extremely good and much, much better the Sears case...especially the Pelican.

Nathan Gifford

zavetsky February 13th, 2002 10:16 AM

portabrace bags

My vote goes to teh Porta Brace.....great bag...expensive, but I know itll last forever and a month......

Lots of room and pockets and they even throw in two sharpies... <grin>

Bob Zimmerman February 13th, 2002 01:24 PM

The tamarac bag looks like a pretty good bag too.

Denis Murphy February 13th, 2002 02:03 PM

Bags

Hey Thanks a lot guys!

I like the portabrace, but don't want to spend the $$$ right now. I've decided to get the Tamrac 2048 soft case, found one for $163 at Cambridgeworld.com, pretty good price seeing other vendors are charging up to $250.

I am intrigued by the Sears Truck case -- what a great idea! I'll look into that and also the "converted Home Depot toolbox" option, elsewhere on this site.

Many, many thanks for your suggestions!

Denis

Bob Zimmerman February 13th, 2002 02:50 PM

$168 is a good price for the Tamarac. I've been seeing about $220 for them.

Ed Smith February 14th, 2002 02:06 PM

Thought I will add 2 more,

1) I use a Seal-tight hard case (Large version although the extra large I feel would be better), these are quite cheap and are water proof, using the 'o' ring system.

2) I have just placed an order for a Lowe Pro Vidcam 6 soft case. You can fit the camera in it with out taking it to pieces and it's water resistant.

Hope these also help,

Ed Smith

Bob Zimmerman February 27th, 2002 01:43 PM

Re: Bags attn Fredfilms

<<<-- Originally posted by FredFilms : Hey Thanks a lot guys!

I like the portabrace, but don't want to spend the $$$ right now. I've decided to get the Tamrac 2048 soft case, found one for $163 at Cambridgeworld.com, pretty good price seeing other vendors are charging up to $250.

I am intrigued by the Sears Truck case -- what a great idea! I'll look into that and also the "converted Home Depot toolbox" option, elsewhere on this site.

Many, many thanks for your suggestions!

Denis -->>> Fred did you order that bag from Cambridgeworld? I was getting ready to buy one. Just wondered if you had any problems with that company?