Panasonic DVX100 vs canon xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 7th, 2003, 07:31 AM   #1
New Boot

Panasonic DVX100 vs canon xl1s

Panasonic DVX100 vs canon xl1s
Which one is better fo action sports, final on dvd?
Old May 7th, 2003, 07:41 AM   #2
New Boot

Dear Greg,
Check out the search function on the message board and I'm sure you'll find a few threads about this subject matter :)

Have a nice day,
Kev
Kevin Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:39 AM   #3
Trustee

Greg,

Having shot snowboarding and skateboarding with the XL1 I would be looking at the GL2 or the DVX. The XL is a fairly large camera and on many an occasion I wished I had something smaller. That's where the GL2 comes in, it's basically an XL without the detachable lens in a compact easy to handle package. Throw on the WD58 wide angle adapter and you have an excellent camera for action sports.

As to the GL2 or the DVX, both are excellent cameras and would be perfect for what you want. If I was you I would go to B and H there in NY and play with the two of them and see with one you like the best.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:54 AM   #4
Wrangler

What type of sports?

If it's something like stadium sports or surfing where you are far away from your subject, the XL1's ability to use Canon EOS lenses is very useful. If it's something that requires YOU to be part of the action, I'd get something small and light like the GL2.

The DVX100 has a better picture than either, I think, but is limited by it's zoom.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:18 PM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for your input

I don't need lens power but I need quality, I like the film look however the dvx footage looks better than cxl1 or is just BS?
this is what we shoot
http://www.vispol.com/LifeXtreme/liextremetrailer.mpg

we have to buy 3, so I don't want to spend $$ and end up with no quality,

ThankX
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:11 PM   #6
Wrangler

Cool stuff! Looks right up my alley.

If you need 3 cameras, I'd buy GL2s. Great picture quality, much bigger zoom than the DVX100, and probably close to $1000 each cheaper.

The DVX100 probably has the best picture in terms of filmy look, but that's probably not neccesary for the type of stuff you are shooting.
Old May 7th, 2003, 08:43 PM   #7
Trustee

If you have to buy three cameras then you have a couple of options. If you want a Standard Films look, most of their stuff is shot on 16mm film, then I'd go for three DVXs.

On the other hand if it was me, I've been using an XL1 for this kind of stuff since early 99, I would go for an XL1s and 2 GL2s. This set up would give you awesome flexability. I'd use the XL as the main camera and the 2 GLs for roaming action/in close work.

It all depends on which camera produces the look you like. The XL/GL in frame mode has a particular look, as does the DVX in 24/30p modes. Like I said before check them out side by side, or rent them both for a day and do some test shots to compare.
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2003, 09:25 PM   #8
New Boot

thanks

Where can I get the best price on dvx, also I have to mount one of these cams in front of the car under the front bumper, any grips? any ideas, I shoot 3 cannon xl1 last time, now I will try dvx, also I was looking at the jvc hd, so no I'm confused but I think i will go with the dvx, but did you guys see the actual footage on dvx? not filtered an all that, stright footage? and by the way did you guys like my trailer?
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:14 PM   #9
Outer Circle

Re: "Where can I get the best price on dvx"

Be careful about prices too good to be true. Perhaps check out our sponsors.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Greg,

I shoot action sports often and I have used the XL-1s, GL2, GL1, DVX, and Sony VX-2000 cameras. Through all my experiences with them, I personally find the XL-1s to be the best for me. Typically I use a Century Optics .3x fisheye lense accessory, as often the locations being shot at are compact or the shot I want requires my being close to the subject.

Weight is actually quite different than what you'd expect if you compare the two. I've found that most of the other cameras are heavier than the XL-1s once you include the batteries and attachments. In fact just yesterday my friend pointed out the same thing when he switched from his GL2 (No attachments, just the base camera and an 8hour battery.) he said that the XL-1s was lighter even though it had the battery, LCD, and the Century .3

By the way, that video was alright. What was the song used? I like it.

Hope that helps.
Kevin Maistros is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog