Basic Audio Question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Basic Audio Question

I have an XL1 and I have purchased a mini jack to XLR adpater to be able to run a decent microphone from.

My question is with whatever microphone I use since the mini jack to XLR adapter I have purchased only has one mini jack to connect to the camera with whatever microphone I use I will need this microphone to have its own power source? Is the correct term phantom power? EG Batteries within the actual microphone.

Since I need to do a shoot with interviews and the on camera microphone just picks up too much ambient noise. So I plan on having the person doing the interview using a handheld microphone ie: ENG style.

Also any suggestions on a good microphone for this style of shooting?

Thanks
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2007, 06:38 AM   #2
Wrangler

Your best bet is to buy a microphone that contains its own battery power supply, or one that is self powered (e.g., a dynamic mic). Interview mics are often dynamic and omnidirectional, such as the Electro Voice RE-50 or Shure SM63, and they do not require phantom power or battery.

The XL1 does not provide power other than 5 VDC for the standard supplied Canon microphone.

Phantom power for microphones is typically 48 volts and supplied by a source external to the microphone, often from the mic preamp, and it is supplied over the XLR cables. Some XLR adapters can provide phantom power.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Duncan View Post
I have an XL1 and I have purchased a mini jack to XLR adpater to be able to run a decent microphone from.

My question is with whatever microphone I use since the mini jack to XLR adapter I have purchased only has one mini jack to connect to the camera with whatever microphone I use I will need this microphone to have its own power source? Is the correct term phantom power? EG Batteries within the actual microphone.

Since I need to do a shoot with interviews and the on camera microphone just picks up too much ambient noise. So I plan on having the person doing the interview using a handheld microphone ie: ENG style.

Also any suggestions on a good microphone for this style of shooting?

Thanks
Don noted the value of a condenser and/or phantom powered mic. These, while based upon the ribbon element design, are quite different, and must have a battery or phantom power supply to function properly. And boy, do they function! But they don't always fit all on site recording situations.

A dynamic mic generates its own power based upon the strength of the sound waves hitting the mic element. Whether one wants to admit or not, the Shure SM-58 is the mic all other mics have been measured against for professinal quality. The Shure SM-57 was the choice for the President's Podium from reagon through Clinton. In the late 90's, when all other performers went on stage with wireless mics during an Oscar performance, Celine Dion used a hard wired SM-58. The EV 635 was the workhorse of TV news crews for well on to 25 years. All were dynamic mics.

The only reason I don't own any condenser mics is because I own so many dynamic mics. However, had I nothing and had to make a choice, I'd very likely favor condenser over dynamic ... but I would have to do a lot of testing first.

Choosing a mic is very much like choosing a camera. It has to fit what you intend to do with it.
Old May 24th, 2007, 09:09 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I used an sm57 for years and it is without a doubt an excellent mic, the only problem is that when hooking it up my XL1s it did not produce much volume. You pretty much had to hold the mic right up to your mouth to get a decent level, which is fine for ENG stuff, not so good for event stuff.Recently, I have used an AKG C1000s (under $200) which is powered by a 9volt battery or phantom power and I am extremely pleased with it. I do not plug it directly into the camera, but use a samson airline series wireless with the transmitter that plugs into any mic. with this setup you can hear whispers at 15-20 ft away. You can also set the mic for either cardiod or supercardiod, depending on how much room noise you want to capture.
Mark Ganglfinger is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog