Best way to shoot for stop motion at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 11th, 2003, 01:42 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Best way to shoot for stop motion

With my XL1s I'm about to shoot some more video to make a stop motion/animated sequence.

In the past I have done this by just letting the camera roll and i reach into the frame and move the item a little then I lean back out of the shot, then lean forward again and move it a bit more etc etc. Then i cut up the footage in FCP taking out lots of footage of me in the shots.

Is this the best way or is hitting the photoshot button on the XL1s give a better or worse quality picture?
Andrew Hogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 01:48 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Andrew,
Have you considered using the Interval Timer feature? I would think it would be very well suited for this work.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 01:51 AM   #3
Wrangler

1) The photoshot button will not give a better quality picture than stills taken from frame movie mode (see my thread on these boards which employed a qualitative-but-scientific assessment to prove this was so... I think the images are still up on my web server, as a matter of fact...)

2) Josh Bass will have a lot to say on this topic, as he produced his (quite excellent) claymation short The Ninjews using an XL1S.

Old versions of Premiere used to have a stop-motion feature. One could hit the spacebar to grab a single frame from a camera source. I wonder if this feature is still around.

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 09:52 AM   #4
ChorizoSmells

andrew,
check out this thread about a stop motion action software:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...&threadid=7408
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:13 PM   #5
Slash Rules!

Here's my method: I put the XL1s in interval mode, using the shortest interval you could: .5 seconds, every ten minutes. Just make sure it pauses after you're done recording. You'll have to figure out what you want your framerate to be (as far as the animation is concerned, that is. I wanted fifteen separate images per second, so I calculated the length of all the moves and such that way). In post I sped the footage up by a factor of approximately 7.5x (this gives you a framerate of 15 images per second, where each image is two NTSC frames). Also shot in frame mode, which I didn't really need to do. Oh well.

Let me know if this makes no sense.
Josh Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 05:25 PM   #6
High School Student

For a camera that doesn't have the interval stuff, what is the best way to do this? My science teacher was interested in doing some stop motion stuff, but I looked kind of puzzled, because I figured if you just left it record, you would run through lots of tape, and it would be a big hassle to edit, and even using the "photo" feature on my camera wouldn't be good, because it records each picture for 7 seconds onto the tape, and a lot of them would eat up lots of tape. I'm not concerned with using a tape or 2 on the project, its just the matter of having to edit all them, and it takes lots of frames to even make a minute of stop motion.
Alex Knappenberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:07 PM   #7
Wrangler

There has got to be a software solution out there, a la the function that used to be in Premiere. (Maybe it's still there, I don't know, I don't have the latest versions...)

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | The best in the business: DVinfo.net sponsors
Robert Knecht Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2003, 06:47 PM   #8
Slash Rules!

Vegas has a single frame grab feature. Maybe buy an old 8mm film camera? How bad could it be?
Old May 11th, 2003, 10:52 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Guys!

Ken, yes I thought of that too but the camera would have to make a beep or something so I knew when to move the model to the next position, and when I needed to be clear of the shot.

Robert, thanks for that info. I suspected the photoshot would be a little worse compared to rolling video quality.

Rik, Yes I read that Thread before posting my question, Thanks!

John, .5 second every 30 seconds would work out ok but every ten minutes would take way too long to shoot the sequence. I think I might just let the camera roll and do a lot of deleteing.

In Final Cut Pro you can export out still frames out of the footage but it take quit a few clicks for each still. I supose if I just let the camera roll, capture the tape, then set "In & Out" of say.... 3 or 4 frames in length and then drag these straight to the timeline, and see how it looks for smoothness. I don't want it too smooth.

anyway thanks again everyone for the suggestions
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:28 PM   #10
Slash Rules!

No no no. You don't have to actually wait ten minutes for each half second of recording. I set it that way so it wouldn't go off while I was setting up the next frame. You can activate it whenever you want, but it won't go off on its own for ten minutes, which is good if each new frame takes lots of rearranging.
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

John,

Thanks for the clarification. Yes, I just read my XL1s Manual on Interval Recording again

I'll give it a try
Old May 11th, 2003, 11:39 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Sorry,

I meant Josh not John
Old May 12th, 2003, 12:02 AM   #13
Slash Rules!

The way you could do it, if you have Vegas (maybe your NLE has this option too)is: you set up to capture, but instead of having your camera on VCR mode, have it on regular recording mode. You should be able to see what your camera's looking at on the capture screen. Then, capture a single frame instead of video.
Old May 12th, 2003, 01:33 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally posted by Robert Knecht Schmidt : There has got to be a software solution out there, a la the function that used to be in Premiere. (Maybe it's still there, I don't know, I don't have the latest versions...)
The latest version of Premiere still supports stop motion capture.
Nigel Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2003, 03:11 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Premiere also supports interval frame grabs. You can specify the interval in minutes.

Has the big advantage of not putting any wear and tear on your camera's video heads.

Capture can be done via firewire.

Dean Sensui
Base Two Productions
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog