Lapel mic and ambient sound? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 14th, 2003, 12:08 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Lapel mic and ambient sound?

Is there a way to set up the Canon whereby I can record sound through a radio mic as well have ambient sound?
This is the scenario: Shooting hunting videos using the e100 Sennheizer radio mic through the mini jack of the onboard mic, whilst still picking up enough ambient sound through another mic. Can this be done?
If I switch to audio-2, I can only record sound through the RCS jacks. The audio on the onboard mic is then swithed off - or am I missing something important here?
Regards
Ewald Hayward
Ewald Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 02:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I have to add to my post: I don't know whether I'm just plain damn stupid or whether the persons who wrote the manual did not have time to write the manual in such a way that even I can understand. . .
According to the manual on pages 34 and 35 under the heading: Setting the audio input - two channel recording, they write about 'attaching an external mic to the mini jacks'. I don't know about yours, but my Canon only has ONE mini jack where the onboard mic is connected - I cannot find the other one.
If I set my Audio to audio 2, the onboard mic is disabled. All I want to do is to use the onboard mic for ambient sound and then to attach a radio mic to one of the RCA-1 jacks.
How? Could someone help?
Ewald
Old May 14th, 2003, 04:43 AM   #3
Wrangler

The inboard mic is also external is a strict sense, just mounted in the camera. an exteranl mic can use the same mini jack if the standard mic is disconnected. (Don't sweat the sumbini jack by the onboard mic - it serves to power the canon mic.)

You can also conenct an external source (e.g., a mic) to the Audio 1 RCA inut as an alternative to the standard mic. The sensitivity setting for auido one is from the menu, and you select the mic jack or RCA inpout jack using a switch behind the audio door.

If using the 12-bit, 4 channel mode, you can connect your wireless to the Auido 2 input. Leave the onboard mic as is. This mode, and sensitivity setting is set from the menu system. Channels 1&2 record what is connected to Audio 1 or the mic jack, and channels 3 and 4 record what is connected to the Audio 2 RCA jacks.

"Switch to audio-2" sounds like you may be monitoring/ metering and that toggles through Audio 1, Audio 2 and mix - Changing this setting does does not change what is being recorded, just what you see on the meter and hear in the headphones.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2003, 03:52 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the response Don
However, I can get sound from my Audio 2 jacks but then the onboard mic is still switched off. I just cannot get both inputs to work. If I use Stereo 1, and set the switch behind the door to stereo 1, I can record from stereo 1 jacks, but again the onboard mic is cut out. If I set the menu to Stereo1,2 I can connect the radio mic to stereo2 jacks but again the onboard mic is off. What am I missing here?
The Sony PD150 has both inputs available: one can record via a lapel mic and the onboard mic records surround or ambient sound. Surely Canon must be able to do the same?
You wrote:

"If using the 12-bit, 4 channel mode, you can connect your wireless to the Auido 2 input. Leave the onboard mic as is. This mode, and sensitivity setting is set from the menu system. Channels 1&2 record what is connected to Audio 1 or the mic jack, and channels 3 and 4 record what is connected to the Audio 2 RCA jacks."

Do you mean that a separate mic is to be connected to the Audio1 jacks if used with the Audio2 jacks? Does one then only use the jacks and not the mini-jack of the onboard mic?
Old May 16th, 2003, 04:14 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Don
I just found a link to the audio questions and will go through them carefully. Maybe it is clearer than the manual. . .
I let you know.
http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article71.php
Old May 17th, 2003, 12:22 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Don
The description by mr Tim Smith from Canon USA should surely replace the existing pages in the Canon owners' manual!
In retrospect what I found most confusing in the manual is the fact that the Canon has 3 inputs: the onboard mic, Audio 1 AND Audio 2.
To all forum members who expereience difficulties with understanding the audio, just remember something simple and basic:
Onboard mic cannot be used together with Audio 1 jacks; its either/or.
Onboard mic can be used together with Audio 2 jacks.
Audio 1 jacks can be used together with Audio 2 jacks.
Thanks Don and mr Smith.
Ewald Hayward is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog