DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon XL1S Manual Lens (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/97-canon-xl1s-manual-lens.html)

nielzen2000$ October 4th, 2001 11:28 AM

Canon XL1S Manual Lens

I'm confused!!!

I've researched the web like crazy trying to get solid info on this:

Will the XL1S be sold with the x16 manual lens?

I want the XL1S with everything - EXCEPT the standard x16 servo lens! Instead I want the x16 manual lens.

Will Canon sell a "XL1S + Manual Lens Kit" - just like they ended up doing with the old XL1?

Thanks

Nielzen

Chris Hurd October 4th, 2001 11:44 AM

See the following page on my website:

http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm

Click on "XL1S Skinny" and then "Price & Availability"

You can buy the XL1S body complete but without lens, then buy the lens you want. Plenty of dealers, including my sponsor ZGC, will most likely have a package, camera body (with everything) plus manual lens, ready for purchase around November when the new manual lens becomes available. Hope this helps,

nielzen2000$ October 4th, 2001 12:29 PM

Checked the "price and availability":

Standard XL1S $4700

XL1S Body $3300
x16 Manual Lens $1800 (same as manual lens)

That is $5100 without viewfinder - and possibly even without a microphone! With color viewfinder the price jumps to $6000-6500.

That cannot be right.

That is $1300-1800 for nothing. I would be better off buying the standard XL1S and then getting the manual lens seperately. (I could then toss the standard lens in the river and watch it go SPLASH!)

Somebody must know the facts on this! No manual lens kit equals NO XL1S for me.

Nielzen

Chris Hurd October 4th, 2001 12:52 PM

Remember we're talking MSRP here -- the absolute *maximum* highest price. Actual "street" prices will of course be much lower, and the better, more trustworthy dealers such as ZGC will offer packages built around the 16x manual lens for about the same price (or perhaps a few hundred dollars higher) for the standard kit... including the color viewfinder and microphone.

Your best bet is to actually contact some authorized dealers and find out what they're planning to do. All of this is speculation until you do so, and nothing really matters until that lens actually becomes available in November. Hope this helps,

Michael Pappas October 4th, 2001 06:34 PM

Actually I called around for the same system and it's ridiculous how much it costs.

I called B&H just to see the costs were.
They wanted $3200 for the XL1S body. That's a $1000 dollars to much.
The 16X manual lens was $1600. $300 dollars to much.
The viewfinder was $380. $80+ dollars to much.
The total is $5180. This is around $1600 dollars to much.
You can get a XL1S standard for about $3600.

It's funny how the price of the 16X standard lens is about $100 dollars less then the Manual 16X. Yet the difference in price is around $1600 more then the XL1S standard package if you opt to put together a manual kit with the XL1S body. Some thing is not right with this math. I think Canon screwed up and they should fix their pricing. It is simple, make two packages. The XL1S box that has the 16X manual and a XL1S box that comes with the Auto 16X lens. The XL1S's kits retail price difference would be a $100 since that's the difference in cost between the manual lens vs the auto lens.

No one in there right mind should make their own XL1S package, with the current pricing. If you bought the XL1S standard kit you could buy the 16x manual lens and have spent the same amount of money if you bought the manual lens kit only . The difference between these two approaches is you would at least have two lenses for the same price of putting a manual kit together with one lens. As I said before this is ridiculous....................

I am considering on doing two articles, one on how Canon is totally messed up on how to sell this new XL1S manual lens package.

The other is on XL1's and GL1s Dead pixels not getting taken care of or tehy just come out of their one year warranty and a dead pixel shows up and Canon charges you a $1000 dollars to replace it. That just makes me quite mad thinking about it.

Michael Pappas
Arrival Entertainment

<<<-- Originally posted by nielzen2000$ : Checked the "price and availability":

Standard XL1S $4700

XL1S Body $3300

That is $5100 without viewfinder - and possibly even without a microphone! With color viewfinder the price jumps to $6000-6500.

That cannot be right.

That is $1300-1800 for nothing. I would be better off buying the standard XL1S and then getting the manual lens seperately. (I could then toss the standard lens in the river and watch it go SPLASH!)

Nielzen -->>>

<<<-- Originally posted by nielzen2000$ : Checked the "price and availability":

Standard XL1S $4700

XL1S Body $3300

That cannot be right.

Nielzen -->>>

nielzen2000$ October 5th, 2001 04:33 AM

Just got of the phone from my local Canon dealer.

He phoned Canon in Denmark - and according to him the Canon rep said, that "they have it on top of their wishlist" to be able to offer a XL1S Manual Lens Kit - but won't be able/allowed to do so without permission fron Canon USA.

Are you listening Canon?!!!

They had no price on such a kit - but it should be cheaper than the option available now.

Nielzen

Don Palomaki October 5th, 2001 04:54 AM

Haven't heard about hot or dead pixel problems with XL1. Are ther problems? Is ther masking SW inside the box?

The XL1S is too new for significant discouns to reach the market. Have to wait for the initial wave of must-have buyers to subside.

Michael Pappas October 5th, 2001 10:52 AM

This is more about Canon's policy on dead pixels. I am researching and collecting info for an article on this issue. Whether it's about the first XL1 or the new one and even the GL1.
Stories like a guy that took his GL1 in for a dead pixel that was just slighty out of warranty range. It cost him a $1000 bucks to have it replaced. That's highway robbery. You can get a brand new GL1 for $800 more. This is what I am goin after to report about.

The Lens package kits from Canon is another ( Or the lack of I should say).

Michael Pappas

<<<-- Originally posted by dpalomaki : Haven't heard about hot or dead pixel problems with XL1. Are ther problems? Is ther masking SW inside the box?

The XL1S is too new for significant discouns to reach the market. Have to wait for the initial wave of must-have buyers to subside. -->>>

Don Palomaki October 5th, 2001 08:54 PM

As I recall, the GL1 story posted October 2 the camcorder was 6 months out of warranty (i.e., 18 months old) and the $950 was the quote he got back. I believe the final price remains to be determined.

Also, the question is more one of hot pixels, not dead pixels.

From what I've read, Canon does take care of them on units within the warranty period.

It is worth noting that the GL1 manual does give a warning that can be read to indicate that hot pixels may become visible at high gain settings. (A hot pixel at 7.5 IRE is black on a normal set, but becomes a very visible 30 IRE at +12dB gain)

Again, has anyone reported hot pixels problems with XL1 models?