DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Ghosting after converting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/100151-ghosting-after-converting.html)

Rob Rollin July 31st, 2007 08:52 AM

Ghosting after converting?

Hello all,

I'm a new hv-20 (pal) user and have heard alot of good things about Cineform.
I use After Effects alot and it's super quick to work with! =)
But I'm having problems when I convert a m2t file to avi via HDlink.
I'm using the trail version of Aspect HD.

So I go to Convert - Select the m2t file that I captured with HDVsplit
Go to Pref - Encoding options are on Medium, Automatic
Rate change is at: No change
Resize video: none

I couldn't attach the zip file because of the file size (5mb) so I uploaded it here:

http://rapidshare.com/files/46138105/hdlink.zip.html

It's footage of my holding the camera and dropping a tennisball on the asphalt and I'm sad to say that it doesn't look good after converting the footage. You can clearly see the artifacts going tru the clip frame by frame.
Is this something you have seen before and have a solution for?

Thanks in advance!
Rob
EDIT: Oh yeah, the mt2 footage is in 50i. I have also tried exporting to 720p but I'm noticing the same problems. I also wanna add that it works fine on footage where the movment isn't as fast.

Steven Gotz July 31st, 2007 09:24 AM

You are seeing interlacing. Please explain in what manner you pulled the frames out of the video.

My guess is that the M2T file is being deinterlaced and the AVI is not.

David Newman July 31st, 2007 09:56 AM

You are only showing half res images. CineForm defaults to field blend for a half res display. Decoding to full resolution separates the fields. The M2T defaults to decoding only one field in half res. So the two half res decodes will look different, but you should only be using half res for previews.

Rob Rollin July 31st, 2007 12:35 PM

Hey guys thanks for the quick response!

I imported the avi and the m2t and pulled those frames from Vegas.
Yes they are only half res because the preview in Vegas is set to that.

So what I did now was exporting two full res frames and imported them into photoshop for deinterlacing and they look identical which made me happy!!
I have no idea of the difference in decoding, so thanks for clearing that up I was getting a little worried for a while there. :-D

Cheers!
Rob

Alan Mills August 8th, 2007 12:05 PM

Reopening this thread as I have an issue on quite similar lines.

I have been provided an M2T file (which Windows media Player seems to think is 1440x1088 in size) and I've been asked to do soem work on it. I'm uncertain as to it's origin (it is an editted movie).

When I pass it through HDLink to convert to AVI some strange things happen.

A) I get this 'ghosting' effect in the resultant AVI as seen and described in this thread.
B) Windows Explorere thinks that the resulting AVI is 1440x1080;
C) Media Player thinks it is 740x540.
D) Premier Pro thinks it is 740x540 but cannot work with at all and treats it as an offline file.

Does anyone have any clues as to what is going on here?

And can someone clarify somethign said above also please. How and why did the clip (discussed in the oroginal post of this thread) get converted to half res when the no resize option was chosen. I ask because I seem tobe seeing similar - depending on which app I use to interrogate the resulting file of course.

What options do I need to use to NOT down size the clip?

Apologies if this is a 'beginner' or RTFM type question. I typically do not work with M2T files, and usually capture straight to AVI.

Thanks

Alan

David Newman August 8th, 2007 12:09 PM

Sorry, that makes no sense to me, we only down res the data upon request. You need to contact support, file a trouble ticket at www.cineform.com/support

Alan Mills August 8th, 2007 12:34 PM

Thank you David. Ticket raised. M2T file in question sourced externally so I can't know it's history or whether I should 'trust' it - especially as Premier Pro considers it an 'offline' file when imported.