DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Image sharpness rendering to Cineform (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/101626-image-sharpness-rendering-cineform.html)

Michael Mann August 19th, 2007 10:22 AM

Image sharpness rendering to Cineform

After rendering original HDV footage (.m2t from Canon A1) to Cineform in Vegas 7 I see a (very, very slight but still noticable) loss in image sharpness, comparing the original (1,440x1080 .m2t) with the rendered file (1,440x1080 Cineform). If I render from .m2t to .m2t instead (using the Vegas main concept codec) I do NOT detect this minimal loss in sharpness. I'd have expected this to be the other way round. Can anyone confirm this?

(This comparison can be performed in Vegas simply by arranging the original clip frame accurate over the rendered clip and soloing either one of the two tracks.)

David Newman August 19th, 2007 10:44 AM

What quality level are you selecting for your CineForm conversion? If you are using the Vegas license for CineForm it only offers "Medium" which is slightly softening. Within HDLink select High or Filmscan and retest.

Michael Mann August 19th, 2007 01:27 PM

David, thanks for your quick response. As you proposed I retested with Cineform quality level "Filmscan 1" and the softening is gone, indeed. Good to know that. Thanks again!

David Newman August 19th, 2007 01:47 PM

Yes, Filmscan 1 mode was developed with a film scanning house (thus its name) to make a quality level that would preserve characteristic of film grain. When in doubt it, is the go to quality level. Yet "Hig"h is also good as that has been used in film out work for features before the Filmscan modes where offered -- High will often save you 20% disk space over Filmscan 1. For the ultra paranoid, there is Filmscan 2, we don't use in in house, we consider it overkill -- a 4:1 version of uncompressed.

Chan Ee Jien September 6th, 2007 11:23 AM

I recalled reading an earlier post where it was mentioned (by whom i forgot) that Cineform convert does smooth the video a bit (something to do with the MPEG artifacts?)

Steven Thomas September 6th, 2007 05:26 PM

Chan,
I normally use film scan 1 and the image quality is excellent.

Douglas Turner September 10th, 2007 07:19 AM

I captured all my footage for my feature in "Medium", as I read that "Medium" should be fine, and you'd get no visible degradation of image.

As I haven't captured any of it in "High" (my HDLink doesn't have FilmScan 1 - is this new in Aspect v5?), I don't have anything to compare it to.

Should I recapture the footage I've used? I'll be going out to SD DVD as well as HD DVD and BluRay - probably not blown up to 35mm though.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

(I'm capturing using HDLink - set to Medium, and editing in PPRO CS3, 1080i 25fps preset)

Mark Leonard September 10th, 2007 08:42 AM

douglas I switched from medium to high a while back and there is improvement, so if ur pc and storage space allow I would use at minimal the "high" setting.