Image sharpness rendering to Cineform at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old August 19th, 2007, 10:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Image sharpness rendering to Cineform

After rendering original HDV footage (.m2t from Canon A1) to Cineform in Vegas 7 I see a (very, very slight but still noticable) loss in image sharpness, comparing the original (1,440x1080 .m2t) with the rendered file (1,440x1080 Cineform). If I render from .m2t to .m2t instead (using the Vegas main concept codec) I do NOT detect this minimal loss in sharpness. I'd have expected this to be the other way round. Can anyone confirm this?

(This comparison can be performed in Vegas simply by arranging the original clip frame accurate over the rendered clip and soloing either one of the two tracks.)
Old August 19th, 2007, 10:44 AM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

What quality level are you selecting for your CineForm conversion? If you are using the Vegas license for CineForm it only offers "Medium" which is slightly softening. Within HDLink select High or Filmscan and retest.
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #3
Major Player

David, thanks for your quick response. As you proposed I retested with Cineform quality level "Filmscan 1" and the softening is gone, indeed. Good to know that. Thanks again!
Old August 19th, 2007, 01:47 PM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes, Filmscan 1 mode was developed with a film scanning house (thus its name) to make a quality level that would preserve characteristic of film grain. When in doubt it, is the go to quality level. Yet "Hig"h is also good as that has been used in film out work for features before the Filmscan modes where offered -- High will often save you 20% disk space over Filmscan 1. For the ultra paranoid, there is Filmscan 2, we don't use in in house, we consider it overkill -- a 4:1 version of uncompressed.
Old September 6th, 2007, 11:23 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I recalled reading an earlier post where it was mentioned (by whom i forgot) that Cineform convert does smooth the video a bit (something to do with the MPEG artifacts?)
Chan Ee Jien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2007, 05:26 PM   #6
Trustee

Chan,
I normally use film scan 1 and the image quality is excellent.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2007, 07:19 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I captured all my footage for my feature in "Medium", as I read that "Medium" should be fine, and you'd get no visible degradation of image.

As I haven't captured any of it in "High" (my HDLink doesn't have FilmScan 1 - is this new in Aspect v5?), I don't have anything to compare it to.

Should I recapture the footage I've used? I'll be going out to SD DVD as well as HD DVD and BluRay - probably not blown up to 35mm though.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

(I'm capturing using HDLink - set to Medium, and editing in PPRO CS3, 1080i 25fps preset)
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM   #8
Regular Crew

douglas I switched from medium to high a while back and there is improvement, so if ur pc and storage space allow I would use at minimal the "high" setting.
Mark Leonard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase