DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Workflow for finishing on digi-beta and mini dv? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/102470-workflow-finishing-digi-beta-mini-dv.html)

Alex Hunter August 30th, 2007 02:54 AM

Workflow for finishing on digi-beta and mini dv?

Hi,

I'm evaluating Aspect HD for editing a film shot on a Sony Z1 in 50i. I was going to edit on Avid Media Express, but been reading up good info on CineForm which I could use on my Premiere 2.0 home system.

I was thinking of capturing the 50i footage de-interlaced to edit at 25p. Would this be ok if I want to master out on mini-dv and DigiBeta, or should I stick to 50i then de-interlace at the end. Are there any steps I should be aware of. I'm also adding some effects using AE and Fusion

Thanks

Marty Baggen August 30th, 2007 09:33 AM

How will your project be distributed? DVD, film?

Alex Hunter August 30th, 2007 10:05 AM

If I am pleased with the end result after editing, I want it to go on digi-beta for submission to festivals as well as DVD, with the option of going onto film. Maybe I'm answering my own question here and de-interlacing on conversion to 25fps is the best option.

I'm also wondering on the quality difference between using 50i and converted 25f. I am doing some tests. Is it best to edit in 50i and then de-interlace when the edit is complete?

Marty Baggen August 30th, 2007 03:36 PM

On the totem pole of knowledge.... I am on the ground when it comes to the folks on this board, but my two bits is that it always makes sense to maintain your native format (once converted to Cineform of course)... keep your workflow in interlace if that is your format of acquisition.

There are many tools and softwares to convert to progressive at the output end. No matter how you do it... when you make the switch from interlaced to progressive, you are taking a resolution and most likely, and compression hit.

Do it at the end when you can retain an interlaced version as well. That way you always have the flexibility to provide a master which is best suited to your target audience.

In the case of going out to film, it's always best to rely on instructions from your conversion facility, or have them do it.

Film festivals are projecting, but I'm not sure that progressive is better or not.

If progressive is more a subjective, or artistic choice, I would still do my conversion to progressive from an edited output in something like TMPGenc.

Okay... now I'm going to get smoked by smarter and more expert people on this... so my final advice is.... don't let this be the last post that you read on this thread!

Alex Hunter August 31st, 2007 03:15 AM

Thanks for your reply. For the test edit I have decided to capture and edit in 50i and convert later. Then if all goes well, CineForm can have my debit card. :]

Cheers
Alex