Cineform Information! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 19th, 2007, 06:20 PM   #16
Major Player

HDLink scene detect file numbering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G. Thompson View Post
If you ever have to come back to that project you can always convert your M2T files back to avi with HDLink and proceed. I have not done it this way myself...but...I believe this would work. You think?
Oh, I agree this is a great trick. I plan to use it for my projects.

Quote:
I think the only difference with Carl's and the one I mentioned is I'm capturing and converting at the same time at the very beginning. I thought it migh save him a little time.
Like you, I currently do both at the same time, but I think I need to stop doing both at the same time due to the poor file numbering support in HDLink. Many months ago I suggested a feature request for improvement in this area, and in theory it's on the Cineform todo list, but it must remain at the bottom or fell off the list entirely.

For clarification and assuming Cineform is interested, there are at least two problems with HDLink scene detect file numbering. 1) the first file has a different number format than the second through last file, and 2) HDLink always starts the file numbering at 1, so multiple captures must be renamed to create one complete sequence. Ideally, when capturing to a folder that already has some captured files, I would like for HDLink to notice the last number in the sequence and ask me if I want to start where it left off in the last capture, but if it does not support that feature, at least allow me to specify the starting number, and please stick to one file numbering format in a sequence.

Best,
Christopher
Christopher Glaeser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:30 PM   #17
Inner Circle

Fortunately I hadn't bought Aspect yet and since I only casually use Premiere not having the optimization won't be a big issue for me personally.

I think the difference in price for NEO is only about $200 and this seems cheaper than having to "whine about it" in the long term. Different story re price difference for Apect etc though.
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #18
Major Player

Aye. However, if I can keep the decent-sized projects rolling in, prospect has plenty of other reasons to be the object of my desire. :)

Depending on how things go, it might be cheaper to get Neo, and then I can install that on my laptop, and use it for AE work. Hmm. Never a downside to having an extra cineform license around, eh? :)

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19th, 2007, 06:45 PM   #19
Inner Circle

I'm sure the Cineform folks would agree with your last statement!
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #20
Major Player

Yes we agree! But we've also been known to help out upon request when you need a secondary laptop license. An email to us is the best way to discuss this....
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM   #21
Inner Circle

By the way - hope the good folks at Cineform know that I was just teasing - I'm really impressed with how closely they follow the forum and respond to questions. I wish some of this would rub off on the folks at Focus.
Old October 20th, 2007, 12:31 PM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Yes we agree! But we've also been known to help out upon request when you need a secondary laptop license. An email to us is the best way to discuss this....
Okay, I'll put it this way. In terms of your service and how amazingly helpful you've been, I'd almost be hesitant to take it. Maybe once I upgrade to Prospect I wouldn't feel so bad, but given how incredible you guys have been, I certainly feel that whatever licenses I buy, even if it's just for my laptop I use occasionally, you've earned the money, and I should fork it out. :)

Heck, if you guys ever need a videographer as a part of your crew.... I don't think I've ever worked for a business (except for mine of course =D) that has the principles that you guys stand for. :)

Carl
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2007, 04:35 PM   #23
Major Player

Carl, thanks for the nice compliments. We're glad we could help, and we look forward to helping with your transition to PHD when you're ready....
David Taylor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase