CineForm and Sony Vegas 8 - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 18th, 2008, 05:14 AM   #181
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy View Post
I'm not trying to raise hell here, I'm merely trying to do what you say is possible. I'm not happy that Apple is the only provider of an editing package that I have been able to get to do what I want using standard hardware. I loaded 8.0c and found no improvement in framerate playing back Cineform encoded 1080p/24 files on the timeline. Are your experiences any different. Still only 16fps which doesn't cut the mustard. For me, FCP did it out of the box.
Thoughts? -Robert
I would stick with FCP. As you say, Vegas isn't working for you, but FCP is. It would seem logical that you would stick with what works for you.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 11:51 AM   #182
Tourist

Neo HDV created avi file not reconized by Vegas 8.0C after trial expired

I installed the Neo HDV trial and converted some m2t files to cineform intermediates. I decided to hold off on purchasing Neo HDV at this time and now the trial has expired. I want to continue working with the intermediate avi files I made with Neo. Now when I open the project with the Neo made intermediates the video is marked as offine. I have audio but no video.
Can Vegas 8.0C read Neo made avi's if Neo HDV is no longer installed?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Charles Dennis
Charles Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:00 PM   #183
Inner Circle

You might try to down load the Cineform Player, which has decoder with it.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:24 PM   #184
Tourist

re:Neo HDV created avi file not reconized by Vegas 8.0C after trial expired

Thanks for your reply Chris, I have installed the Neo player. I can read the avi files now - I see the video but I can't render either the avi's or m2t files to avi hdv intermediates. I get the message no compatible codec was found.
During my use of the Neo HDV trial I renamed the cdhd.dll file to cdhd.OLD.dll because I read a post suggesting that helped Vegas to use the newer codec. Could this be part of the problem?
Charles Dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2008, 01:08 PM   #185
Inner Circle

Charles:

Hopefully David will respond to this. The player is only has an decoder, not an encoder.

However, it would likely not hurt to rename the previously changed codec to see if you will regain that capability. I have been using Neo HDV ever since I had Vegas 6 (previously Connect), and just migrated to a new Vista system, and have been doing fine there, with a few tweeks. I have never had to deal with your issue, because I have continuously upgraded Cineform and Vegas. My recollection is that Vegas8 does not include the intermediate codec. My memory is not great on this, but I think Cineforms older codec. 2.5 was the original version included in Vegas 6 and maybe 7.
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:00 AM   #186
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
HDV cameras under Vista(32 or 64) and not always seen by HDLink.
That is true. HD Link will not see my HVR-Z7 at all under Vista 64. I don't believe that the problem has anything to do with Cineform though. None of my capture applications will see my camera. Not Vegas, not HDV Split, not Nero... none of them! I can either capture the video on another computer or shoot to memory card.
Laurence Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2009, 07:38 AM   #187
Major Player

Which Cineform to buy?

Hi All,

I always use both Sony Vegas 8 and Premiere Pro 2 & CS4.

I like to know as which Cineform I should be buying so it will be comparable with both softwares?

Thanks

Matthew
Old February 4th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #188
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Dennis View Post
Thanks for your reply Chris, I have installed the Neo player. I can read the avi files now - I see the video but I can't render either the avi's or m2t files to avi hdv intermediates. I get the message no compatible codec was found.
During my use of the Neo HDV trial I renamed the cdhd.dll file to cdhd.OLD.dll because I read a post suggesting that helped Vegas to use the newer codec. Could this be part of the problem?
I just got the same problem yesterday , see my thread here , hopefully Dennis or David can help us out ,

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/cineform-...lp-please.html
Chris Wysocki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:39 AM   #189
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Amirkhani View Post
Hi All,

I always use both Sony Vegas 8 and Premiere Pro 2 & CS4.

I like to know as which Cineform I should be buying so it will be comparable with both softwares?
I have the same issue. Thinking about going from PPCS4 to Vegas because CS4 is a mess!

I own Prospect HD. Do i need NEO now or what?

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM   #190
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Zimmer View Post
I have the same issue. Thinking about going from PPCS4 to Vegas because CS4 is a mess!

I own Prospect HD. Do i need NEO now or what?

Simon
No. Prospect HD is Neo HD with the addition of Premiere filters and the playback engine.
Old May 4th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #191
Major Player

Thanks for the clarification David.

Now I just need to wait until Vegas 9 (64-bit) and/or Premiere Pro CS4 are compatible with Prospect HD.

;)

Simon
Simon Zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:30 AM   #192
New Boot

Workflow with Vegas for BluRay

What is better workflow between the two (with Cineform and Vegas) to get mpeg2 file for BluRay?

1) transform m2t file to Cineform with HD Link – edit video on Cineform Vegas timeline – render that project directly from Vegas timeline to mpeg2 for BluRay

2) transform m2t file to Cineform with HD Link – edit video on Cineform Vegas timeline – render that from Vegas timeline to new Cineform file (for unedited parts you use Vegas smartrender option for Cineform) – render again from Vegas that new and now completely arranged Cineform file but now from Cineform to mpeg2 for BluRay

And second question: is it better to transform m2t file to Cineform with HDLink or with Vegas (I think that I noticed that with Vegas I need more time to do that, but I couldn’t notice any difference in quality)?
Ivan Seso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 02:53 AM   #193
New Boot

Cineform, Vegas and mpeg4

And another question from me.

I have HDV cam, but I think that in future all consumer cams will be mpeg4, so I would like to prepare for that.

Suppose you have mpeg4 cam which shoot with 24 mbps (all new Canon cams). You have Vegas which have AVC template but for maximum 16 mbps. You also have ULEAD with maximum 18 mbps (to author with smartrendering) for mpeg4 . And, you have one Cineform product.

I think maybe it is not very good idea to shoot mpeg4 video with 24 mbps and than lower the bitrate to 16 mbps for BluRay because of the restrictions from your software.

So is it good idea to do something like this: you shoot video with 24 mbps with mpeg4 cam – transform that mpeg4 video to Cineform – edit in Vegas and at the end – render from Cineform Vegas timeline for BluRay but to mpeg 2 (not mpeg 4) with, for example, 30 mbps (or maybe even with higher bitrate) ?

I am concened much more on quality here, not about space on disc.
Ivan Seso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 07:27 AM   #194
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Seso View Post
What is better workflow between the two (with Cineform and Vegas) to get mpeg2 file for BluRay?

1) transform m2t file to Cineform with HD Link – edit video on Cineform Vegas timeline – render that project directly from Vegas timeline to mpeg2 for BluRay

2) transform m2t file to Cineform with HD Link – edit video on Cineform Vegas timeline – render that from Vegas timeline to new Cineform file (for unedited parts you use Vegas smartrender option for Cineform) – render again from Vegas that new and now completely arranged Cineform file but now from Cineform to mpeg2 for BluRay

And second question: is it better to transform m2t file to Cineform with HDLink or with Vegas (I think that I noticed that with Vegas I need more time to do that, but I couldn’t notice any difference in quality)?
I'd go with #1... :)
Jon McGuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2009, 08:26 AM   #195
New Boot

Thanks Jon,

So if I have understood you correctly you would:

- render to mpeg2 directly from Vegas Cineform timeline after editing (no need for any additional step here)
- transform original m2t file from cam with HDLink rather than with Vegas (and you can do that even during capturing with average core duo PC)
Ivan Seso is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase