DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Anyone using prospect in FCP 6 yet? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/104227-anyone-using-prospect-fcp-6-yet.html)

Peter Ferling September 23rd, 2007 09:08 PM

Anyone using prospect in FCP 6 yet?

Anyone care to share their experience? Thanks.

Hernan Vilchez September 30th, 2007 06:10 AM

nobody using Prospect and FC Studio 2?

David Kirlew October 1st, 2007 10:32 PM

AFAIK Prospect DOES NOT work FCP. What you probably want to know is if anyone is using Neo (HD/2K) on FCP. Aspect and Prospect are still Premiere Pro exclusive. As for me I'm heavily evaluating FCP and NEO 2K or Premiere Pro with Prospect. Don't know which I will use yet for my feature (hoping to shoot next summer).

David Taylor October 2nd, 2007 09:41 AM

Well said David. In both Prospect HD/2K and Neo HD/2K we include the CineForm Mac codec. So specifically it is our Mac codec that is really the question. We have many, many people using the codec in feature film work, and it seems to be working great, both 4:2:2 and 4:4:4.

Note - we include both a Windows and Mac installers in the Neo and Prospect products. The Mac installer is the (Intel) Mac codec only as the conversion utilities (Neo) and the Premiere editing software (Prospect) don't run on Mac. For a Mac-only workflow you'd use the Windows Neo install on Parallels or Bootcamp for conversion utilities, and then run your converted material (with the Mac codec) on MacOS using FCP, AE, etc.

Peter Ferling October 2nd, 2007 11:51 AM

I've done some reading, and I'm finding that getting a mac will be beneficial to many things, other than just edit. I have the PC platform, I do use HDLink (using it to capture some media this very moment.. I couldn't multitask going the PPro route).
So burning some movs to an array and dropping them on the mac makes perfect sence. If need be, I can cut/use those movs on the PC.

Hernan Vilchez October 2nd, 2007 03:27 PM

Cineform vs ProRes

What would be the difference in using Cineform vs ProRes 422 in FCS 2?

David Newman October 2nd, 2007 04:04 PM

CineForm supports 4:4:4 in addition to 4:2:2 and is cross platform, ProRES is 4:2:2 YUV only and works in Apple products only. ProRES doesn't yet work correctly in After Effects on the Mac (and I assume other non-Apple tools), as it decodes as 8-bit with the wrong color space. Of course if you stay with 4:2:2 and FCS2 you will fine using ProRES.

Peter Ferling October 2nd, 2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Newman (Post 753318)
... Of course if you stay with 4:2:2 and FCS2 you will fine using ProRES.

That's scary. I've already run into issues with outside shops needing media, and I've had to settle for Jpeg compressed mov's on disk. I've instructed them to visit cineform and they like the idea. Only thing holding back is an upgrade to intel Macs.

I had to forward a job to an outside firm using avids on PCs, and gave them prospect files and included the free neo player along with.