Still picture errors at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 30th, 2007, 05:30 PM   #1
New Boot

Still picture errors

Hi,

Still pictures display green or black in the preview window, any idea why this is happening?

Same result for pictures in 1440x1080 with 1.333 pixel aspect ratio and other sizes without the 1.333 ratio.

Also, the strange thing is that it's not always a problem, and pictures working in one project don't work in another? I re-installed my system so it's only runing XP, PP CS3 and Cineform (in addition to Office and Norton). I have 2 GB RAM on a Intel Pentium D 3GHz CPU with ATI Sapphire Radeon X1950GT display adapter.

It seems to me that Cineform is not always able to create and/or find the yuva files - any way I can force Cineform to create them?

I have tried everything to making this work, so all help will be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Sverre
Sverre Fjeldheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2007, 07:42 PM   #2
Trustee

To clarify, these are still pictures from other sources (eg DSLRs or whatever) that you have imported into your project? Or are they from your HDV camera itself?
Graham Hickling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2007, 02:33 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi,

Yes, it’s from other digital cameras like Canon G5, Leica D-Lux 3, Sony etc.

I normally run them through Photoshop for cropping and save them from there, but lately it seems it doesn't matter what I do - there is no consistency on how Cineform treats pictures.

The exact same thing happens when I place a non-Cineform video transition between two Cineform AVI files – it renders the transition, but when I play it the screen goes black. Cineform if obviously not able to find what it just rendered.

Thanks.
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:57 AM   #4
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Sound like you need to file a trouble ticket at cineform.com/support
Old October 1st, 2007, 10:04 AM   #5
New Boot

Hi,

Thanks, I'll try that.

Regards,
Old October 1st, 2007, 08:09 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverre Fjeldheim View Post
Hi,

Still pictures display green or black in the preview window, any idea why this is happening?
I was getting video black for non-cineform projects as well. It's an issue with Premiere (search the adobe forum).

Some workarounds, (do one of the following): place the image over video black layer. Change the opacity of the image slighty to 99%. Render the image as a clip, replace the image with the clip.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:57 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi,

I tried the workaround tip but no change in the result.

And yes, I did see the green/black screen in the Adobe forums, but thought it didn't apply to me since I only experience this problem when I'm doing a Cineform project.

Will take another look...

Regards,
Old October 2nd, 2007, 02:44 AM   #8
New Boot

Hi,

I tried the tips and tricks in the Adobe Forums, but no change.

Then I opened the same picture that plays green in a Cineform project in an Adobe HDV project - it plays fine there.

I have been in touch with Cineform about this, but response has been so-so. Although I would have loved to use their "visually perfect" codec, it seems that I will have to settle for mpeg.

I still think the problem would have been solved if there had been a way I could check if Cineform actually creates the yuva files. Even better, if I could spesify where to store yuva files and renders - then the program and the person doing the editing could agree on where to store these files.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM   #9
CTO, CineForm Inc.

The .yuva files are stored in %temp%, i.e. you temp folder for that user. You would have to a messed up system if your temp folder didn't work.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 10:41 AM   #10
New Boot

Hi,

My %temp% folder seems to work - there is a lot of other files there. When searching for *.yuva /s on the c drive (where the project is located) there is no search results, and that's the problem - Cineform does not create it.

Is there a way I can run Premiere/Cineform with a command line so I see what happens?
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:08 PM   #11
CTO, CineForm Inc.

I was wrong, only titles use the temp path. Graphics use there source directory -- working fine here. Two issues to watch out for --
1) Are you graphics bigger than the timeline? 8MPixel images will not play on a 720p timeline. In this case, either render in Premiere, of resize the image before importing them.

2) Is there a pathing issue? Take graphics that aren't working and place them in the root of C:/, do they work there? If so, let me know the original path.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:43 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi,

I don't know about the size (I crop everything in 1440x1080 with 72dpi), but all pictures worked perfectly once I moved them to C:\

The original path was c:\videoredigering\olav 3 til 4 år - del 2\bilder

(its norwegian for c:\videoediting\olav 3 to 4 years - part 2\pictures)

I guess there are limitations on folder names then? How do you suggest I name my folders - no spaces or foreign letters?

Thanks!
Old October 2nd, 2007, 12:51 PM   #13
New Boot

Hi,

I removed the word "år" from the folder and then things started working. I can't believe I have gone through all that trouble of buying a new display adapter, changing motherboard, re-installing the whole system and then hours or trying to make this work just because of the Norwegian letter "å".

That also explains the inconsistency, because everything worked in another project where the path was c:\videoredigering\baby no 2\bilder - no problems there.

I expect that this also will take care of my rendering issue.

Thanks! Now I can become a paying customer.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:11 PM   #14
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We are encountered character incompatibilies before, but 'å' is a new one for me. I'll check it out.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 01:15 PM   #15
New Boot

Hi,

Please post result once you have investigated - will be interesting to see what the final outcome will be.

Thanks again,

Sverre
Sverre Fjeldheim is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase