DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   CineForm Software Showcase (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/)
-   -   Overlay in After Effects? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/cineform-software-showcase/106318-overlay-after-effects.html)

Tim Veal October 23rd, 2007 09:28 PM

Overlay in After Effects?

I've got my FX1500 card to send the video from Premiere Pro 2 to my external monitor via component. I also can view video from Media Player and quicktime. But the rest of Adobe apps (AE, Encore, Photoshop export) does not work, as well as Premiere in a non-Cineform project. It seems all the options assume you are viewing via firewire to a monitor. Is there a way to send the Cineform video to an external monitor in the other apps?

Mike McCarthy October 23rd, 2007 10:16 PM

In non Cineform Premiere projects (DV or Desktop) you should be able to setup fullscreen playback in the same place, but the "playback settings" window looks a lot different. For most other programs, fullscreen video overlay settings are controlled by the graphic card driver. Encore doesn't allow anything besides firewire I believe, but AE should. Check the preferences in AE for output options.

Carl Middleton October 24th, 2007 12:04 AM

As of CS2 (I believe) AE does not support video overlay to an external monitor.

I personally cheat and resize my window to overlap onto my other display, my preview monitor, and resize the comp so it fits roughly the same as it would if it was being piped there properly. It doesn't help so much with safe zones and pixel for pixel, but it does for color (it's an SD monitor).

Toodles,
C

Tim Veal October 24th, 2007 09:55 AM

Under preferences for video output in AE and Photoshop (CS2) the only option beside the default desktop is the firewire connection. In AE I've been dragging a second comp window to my program monitor same as you Carl. I was hoping there was a way to output the full rez video directly to the monitor like Premiere does. Oh well, I guess I'll have to start saving up for an Aja card.

Mike McCarthy October 24th, 2007 10:01 AM

For AE, try the "\" key or Ctrl+\, one of those fullscreens the selected window with no UI border. I don't think that works in PPro though. I will have to check to see if that overlay setting is gone from the Playback Settings window, but I was unaware they removed it. I never use it anymore anyway, that is why I wouldn't have noticed.

Carl Middleton October 24th, 2007 10:17 AM

Oh, wow, I've definitely got to try that.

Thanks Mike!

C

Mike McCarthy October 24th, 2007 02:24 PM

PPro still supports overlay, while AE does not. The Ctrl+\ works, so if you create a new viewer window and drap it to the second display, hit Ctrl+\ twice, and you achieve the same basic Effect. Combining that with "~" on the main window and you get similar functionallity on the primary display. A very good set of options. I have no complaints with the AE implementation.

Tim Veal October 25th, 2007 09:45 PM

Great tip Mike! I tried it with AE and it works fine. I looked into Photoshop and found that I can do the same thing. I go to Window/Arrange/New Window. I drag it over to my second display. Hit the "F" key until the borders are gone and then hit Ctrl Alt 0 to make it a 100% display.