Overlay in After Effects? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Overlay in After Effects?

I've got my FX1500 card to send the video from Premiere Pro 2 to my external monitor via component. I also can view video from Media Player and quicktime. But the rest of Adobe apps (AE, Encore, Photoshop export) does not work, as well as Premiere in a non-Cineform project. It seems all the options assume you are viewing via firewire to a monitor. Is there a way to send the Cineform video to an external monitor in the other apps?
Tim Veal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2
Major Player

In non Cineform Premiere projects (DV or Desktop) you should be able to setup fullscreen playback in the same place, but the "playback settings" window looks a lot different. For most other programs, fullscreen video overlay settings are controlled by the graphic card driver. Encore doesn't allow anything besides firewire I believe, but AE should. Check the preferences in AE for output options.
Old October 24th, 2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Major Player

As of CS2 (I believe) AE does not support video overlay to an external monitor.

I personally cheat and resize my window to overlap onto my other display, my preview monitor, and resize the comp so it fits roughly the same as it would if it was being piped there properly. It doesn't help so much with safe zones and pixel for pixel, but it does for color (it's an SD monitor).

Toodles,
C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 09:55 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Under preferences for video output in AE and Photoshop (CS2) the only option beside the default desktop is the firewire connection. In AE I've been dragging a second comp window to my program monitor same as you Carl. I was hoping there was a way to output the full rez video directly to the monitor like Premiere does. Oh well, I guess I'll have to start saving up for an Aja card.
Tim Veal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5
Major Player

For AE, try the "\" key or Ctrl+\, one of those fullscreens the selected window with no UI border. I don't think that works in PPro though. I will have to check to see if that overlay setting is gone from the Playback Settings window, but I was unaware they removed it. I never use it anymore anyway, that is why I wouldn't have noticed.
Old October 24th, 2007, 10:17 AM   #6
Major Player

Oh, wow, I've definitely got to try that.

Thanks Mike!

C
Carl Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Major Player

PPro still supports overlay, while AE does not. The Ctrl+\ works, so if you create a new viewer window and drap it to the second display, hit Ctrl+\ twice, and you achieve the same basic Effect. Combining that with "~" on the main window and you get similar functionallity on the primary display. A very good set of options. I have no complaints with the AE implementation.
Old October 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Great tip Mike! I tried it with AE and it works fine. I looked into Photoshop and found that I can do the same thing. I go to Window/Arrange/New Window. I drag it over to my second display. Hit the "F" key until the borders are gone and then hit Ctrl Alt 0 to make it a 100% display.
Tim Veal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase