Using legacy VHS footage in Prospect Project at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM   #1
Tourist

Using legacy VHS footage in Prospect Project

Hi, we're using some rare, valuable SD VHS footage in a Prospect HD project. We have access to the original tapes in a vault so we're bringing in our Prospect Xena LHe system and a JVC SVHS machine which has a button on it marked "digital TBC".

My question is whether it would be best to do the upscaling using Cineform during capture, or whether it would be best to capture SD uncompressed with the AJA utility, and use a 3rd party uprez program (Boris, Deemon etc.) to get to HD and make adjustments before converting to Cineform.

If anyone has faced this kind of problem, what workflow did you use?

Thanks, Charlie
Charlie Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM   #2
Major Player

If it's a one-shot deal to capture, I would definitely go the uncompressed, SD route. That leaves your options open after the fact to experiment.

I upscaled some SD footage for a recent project. It was professionally shot stuff, but already digitized and compressed. I tried one or two of the HD upressers (I don't recall which ones). When compared to simply upscaling, I couldn't see any appreciable difference.

I'd do your uncompressed capture, and try upscaling with After Effects.. or TMPGenc. Be sure to explore the scaling options within each.

If that's not satisfactory, you still have your raw captures to try with an upresser (experiment with trial versions).

A real subjective dilemma. Much depends on the nature of the footage. Trial and error until it looks as good as you can get it.

Have a scope handy as well.... bad vid levels on capture can lose detail that you can never get back.
Marty Baggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree that capturing in SD leaves your options open in the future to find the highest quality solution for increasing the resolution.
Old November 2nd, 2007, 12:39 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm in the process of doing this....

One thing you need to pay attention to is that the footage should be converted to Progressive prior to the uprez....

That part of the workflow will also play a part in the quality of the conversion.

so you'll need to look further into that too.....

I'm still playing around with the conversion but so far I just pulled the footage down to a hard drive, put it into Premier Pro CS3, color graded and output to
progressive...

Then used Cineform HDlink to uprez the footage to 1920x1080.. I'll be examining the footage this weekend to see how it all worked out....

Another way to do this is to import the footage into Photoshop CS3 and use a program like Genuine Fractals for the uprez...

I haven't tried it but it sounds like to would work wonders...

I also plan on experimenting with Neat Video to smooth it all out at the end.

I'll most likely play around in AE to see which has the best quality in the end.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase