Setup of AJA Xena LHe - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 6th, 2007, 09:53 PM   #16
Contributor

Christopher,

My motherboard is very similar to the one you're looking at - and I'm using the same type of video card (8800). Be careful about the PCI-E slots and possible sharing. While I have not yet confirmed it, I think that's my problem. My system builder is checking into this to see if I can disable channel sharing of the PCI-E 4x and 1x slots.

I'll keep the forum posted on how this works out for me.
Stuart Brontman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 09:59 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Thanks Stuart, I appreciate any feedback, in due course.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2007, 10:04 PM   #18
Contributor

Happy to help. If you can avoid the issues I'm having, that will be great. Would you over-clock your processor if feasible?
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #19
Regular Crew

No, Stuart. My tech can OC computers, however, I am seeking longevity of all the peripherals, and he agrees. Thanks for sharing your experience. I hope we all can learn what is the cause and what mobo choices work. Thanks.
Old November 7th, 2007, 01:19 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Also, make sure you have the latest bios updates and drivers. My Gigabyte came with beta versions. (P35 based).
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:05 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Joe, indeed, thank you.

Joe, are you running a Xena card (LHe) on your Gig P35 mobo?
Old November 13th, 2007, 09:58 PM   #22
Contributor

Well, it's "official". My motherboard will not support the Xena LHe card. It's most likely an incompatibility between the Xena chipset and the motherboard's chipset and/or PCI-E slot management. I've got two choices - either change out the motherboard or let the Xena go (and then upgrade my video card, and run with a 30" monitor for programs and my existing 24" monitor for HD viewing off the timeline).

In retrospect, using a Xena card just to monitor the Cineform/Premiere timeline in HD on an LCD monitor was probably a poor financial decision. Live and learn. If anyone is interested in a practically new Xena LHe card, let me know. I'll probably be selling it very soon.

Stuart
Old November 14th, 2007, 02:09 AM   #23
Major Player

Make sure you don't get a GeForce8 card. I have a 30" LCD and a 24" LCD, and can't get fullscreen overlay from Prospect with my 8800GTX. It does work in Desktop/DV/HDV mode. I hear there are work arounds, but I have not had time to attempt them yet.
Old November 14th, 2007, 08:33 AM   #24
Contributor

Unfortunately I've already got one! I'm looking to replace it with a decent Quadro FX card.
Old December 22nd, 2008, 07:08 AM   #25
New Boot

AJA Xena LHe works on "Consumer Mobo"

Hi Folks,

I realise that this is an old posting but some of you might be interested in my current, working, configuration.

I too was interested in using the Xena LHe but balked at the hight cost of the "workstation" required by Aja.

To cut a long story short, I did a lot of research on consumer mobos and ended up on some gaming/overclocker hardware sites. Computer gamers are known to be pretty demanding on their hardware.

I came accross the DFI LP UT P35-T2R during my reasearch, a high end motherboard with quality components, used by gamers/overclockers.

The most important feature of this mobo to me was that you can switch one of the PCI Express x16 slots to dedicated x4 use. This won't work properly on most consumer mobos but since the components on this mobo are of such high quality and it has proven to be very stable even under severe stress it seemed a likely candidate for the Xena LHe.

In addition to this I also purchased a Quadro FX 570 graphics card as the Xena LHe simply won't like a consumer Geforce card.

I also added an Intel Quad core 9300 CPU and 4 x 1Gb DDR2 Dimms.

I'm running the whole configuration successfully under both a Windows XP 32 bit and XP 64 bit dual boot system with the Adobe CS3 suite.

My Xena LHe is connected via HD-SDI to my Sony MEUWX2/LMD 172WS, HD capable, production monitor.

Oh and before anyone asks, the Xena LHe Vista 64 bit driver does work under the Windows XP 64 bit OS.

The system has been running very stable for the last 4 weeks now and I might attempt some overclocking on the FSB to up the CPU clock which I have refrained from doing so far.

I can therefore highly recommend the DFI LP UT P35-T2R mobo for use with the Xena LHe.

It won't be easy to find however as its an older mobo based on the Intel P-35 chipset.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Armand
Armand Sonneville is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase