CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 24 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old April 13th, 2008, 02:27 AM   #346
Major Player

Audio can indeed be embedded into the HDMI signal. I would imagine that the inclusion of a separate audio input would be invaluable for audio coming from another source. Surely a dedicated mic would provide better quality sound than a camera-mounted mic?
Old April 16th, 2008, 03:25 PM   #347
Major Player

David, what you think about GPU usage for RT encoding to Cineform ?
http://www.elementaltechnologies.com/how_it_works.php

Iridas already use GPU for RT debayer of RAW...
Serge Victorovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #348
Major Player

I think from a coolness perspective, use of the GPU would be great. The question is, with a commercial perspective in mind, why CineForm would want to develop it - Intel CPUs are getting ever more powerful and ever more cheaper, and it's safe to assume that by the time development work would be complete on such a project, they'll be even more powerful and even cheaper.
Old April 17th, 2008, 08:58 AM   #349
CTO, CineForm Inc.

In addition, while GPUs are very good at certain operations, the large amount of entropy encoding/decoding required by a higher bit-rate compression is not one of the areas they do well at. Our compression would be slower if implemented solely on GPU and deminishing returns for a split CPU/GPU implementation.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:07 AM   #350
Major Player

Are there any news on the progress of the recorder, such as decided features and estimated arrival on the market?
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #351
Major Player

I wonder how/if Cineform have revised their plans (if not technically, then perhaps with regard to pricing) with Matrox's announcement of the MX02.

If the Cineform recorder doesn't come out soon the Matrox may have to do. It's just not my preference. But it seems like the Matrox box is format agnostic and would allow recording into Cineform directly, as long as the Cineform codec is installed on your MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. (They use ExpressCard or PCIe) which is probably why they don't mention a regular MacBook as being compatible.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:46 PM   #352
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Nope, we haven't haven't changed our plans. There are just too many reasons for a range portable CineForm capture devices.
Old April 17th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #353
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
Nope, we haven't haven't changed our plans. There are just too many reasons for a range portable CineForm capture devices.

I take it though, that with no announcements at NAB this year, we're still at least a year off? Ever since you guys announced this thing, my HV20 has been begging for a playmate. :)

-burk
Jason Burkhimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #354
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Not a year off. But we knew all along it wouldn't be ready for this NAB. The point on the thread was to collect your feedback to make the best product we can. This not just feedback to CineForm, but to hardware partners that complete this project. CineForm is a software company, yet we are porting our compression to hardware so that will appear in a range of forms (this is just one of them.)
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #355
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Irving View Post
I wonder how/if Cineform have revised their plans (if not technically, then perhaps with regard to pricing) with Matrox's announcement of the MX02.

If the Cineform recorder doesn't come out soon the Matrox may have to do. It's just not my preference. But it seems like the Matrox box is format agnostic and would allow recording into Cineform directly, as long as the Cineform codec is installed on your MacBook Pro or Mac Pro. (They use ExpressCard or PCIe) which is probably why they don't mention a regular MacBook as being compatible.
I'm not sure I see the comparison. MX02 is an attachment to your laptop for $1,500 and it's limited to Mac to boot - the CineForm unit would be a complete standalone piece of equipment at $2,000. I know which I'd rather have!
Richard Leadbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2008, 08:02 AM   #356
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter View Post
I'm not sure I see the comparison. MX02 is an attachment to your laptop for $1,500 and it's limited to Mac to boot - the CineForm unit would be a complete standalone piece of equipment at $2,000. I know which I'd rather have!
They're not 100% identical, no. I guess they're only similar in the fact that both products would allow you to record straight into Cineform via the HDMI, bypassing long-GOP and HDV compression, preserving 4:2:2, and recording straight to hard drive.

I understand that the Cineform box would be a complete stand-alone, and would also allow Compact Flash recording capabilities. They both would have their pros and cons, but to say there's no comparison at all, well...

Don't get me wrong, I want this Cineform Recorder as much as the rest of you. I'd buy it today if I could.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2008, 04:48 PM   #357
Trustee

Another similar hardware solution? Although does not look too mobile:

http://www.telestream.net/products/p...utm_source=NBM
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 02:03 PM   #358
Major Player

Standard def and SDI only. Watched the presentation and I'm kind of struggling to see the point of it to be honest over and above the obvious coolness factor of capturing over LAN.
Old May 24th, 2008, 10:16 PM   #359
Major Player

Another competitor...

http://ffv.com/products/elite_front_4.pdf

This is an SDI i/o device, it records JPEG2000. (Which they call/abreviate J2K)

It is 10 bit sampling at 4:2:2.

It uses hot swappable 2.5" SATA drives for storage.

I prefer an HD-SDI solution built around Cineform codecs, especially FILMREC. I also prefer commodity solid state storage whenever possible.
Old May 25th, 2008, 12:41 PM   #360
Trustee

What Alexander said, agreed on all accounts.

Note to Cineform: please don't forget to provide a switch to use your built-in analog audio line in, instead of HDMI-multiplexed audio!
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase