CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old July 7th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #376
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott Tucker View Post
The Edirol does not have HDMI which puzzles me. But I really want the Cineform capability.
No surprise. It makes no bones about what it is. A FireWire DV/HDV to Hard Disk Drive Recorder.
It does not have any kind of compression engine of its own.
It is simply stripping out the Compressed Video+Audio stream and recording that to disk.

What was most interesting to me was that they use NTFS for the file system.
FAT32 is nowhere to be seen. So the old file size limitations that everyone loves to hate are gone.

How does the file system choice affect Mac users?
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #377
Trustee

Need to shoot tomorrow? Get this one:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...253#post908253

(shameless plug, I know... relevant to the Cineform topic though :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2008, 06:41 PM   #378
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Graham View Post
So....

Would something like this work?

Is this the price range we'd be looking at for a converter?!

If so, that's great, I was thinking it was much more intensive/expensive.

http://store.customcableconnection.com/hdmc-spdif.html

http://www.pccables.com/cgi-bin/orde...&rsite=f.85506
Never heard an answer on this. Any ideas?
Brent Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 09:43 AM   #379
Trustee

A couple of thoughts on Cineform recorder.

- HD-SDI: I now think that, Sony Ex1 being already ubiquitous and affordable at low price, and generating full-raster 1920x1080 output... the base configuration of the CFHD recorder should probably be oriented onto that camera and have HD-SDI input standard. People with HDMI cams can get HDMI->HD-SDI converters?

- Separate audio inputs: again, EX1 turned out to have a fantastic quality audio - a real breakthrough, so there's no need to have a separate analog audio bus in CFHD recorder anymore, I think.

- Batteries: how about go independent from the camera type/battery type/connector type... and have an internal rechargeable battery. Or maybe use 4 rechargeable AAs. Wireless mics use the same approach, why not this recorder. Feasible, given the device's power consumption and anticipated run on a single charge?
Old August 21st, 2008, 10:01 AM   #380
Major Player

It should address the needs of uncompressed, HDMI and HD-SDI me thinks... The more different inputs they have the more devices they will sell. If it's not included in the recorder they should at least recommend boxes that run on batteries that gives you alternative options. I am quite sure there were a HD-SDI to HDMI converter mentioned in this thread.

Seperate audio inputs isn't required but again it will give more options for the end user and I would love to have 4 channel audio recording. I already uses that with an external recorder but integrated with video it would rock. I seriously doubt that audio recording would be a huge expense to the final package. High quality AD-converters seem to be very cheap.

Well, the batteries must be replacable in some way since on the field you might not have the time to recharge. But there are several batteries out there so no need to re-invent that. I am not sure 4 AA would work. My audiorecorder uses 8 and a couple of hours shooting will eat them up. I think that video encoding to Cineform intermediate will require more power.

But it would be nice to receive and update of how it's going.... Cineform??? :)
Old August 21st, 2008, 11:27 AM   #381
Major Player

Alex / Fredrik - good comments. Thank you.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2008, 01:14 PM   #382
New Boot

Status???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik-Larsson View Post
... it would be nice to receive and update of how it's going.... Cineform??? :)
CINEFORM: Have you resumed dedicated work on this project? Status update info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Elliott Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 05:48 PM   #383
Major Player

I suspect what Cineform found is also why direct to disk/flash recorders are so expensive.
Everybody has their pet list of requirements, HDMI/Component/HD-SDI/XLR/RCA/2 channel/4 channel/playback/pass through/headphone plug/flip/screen/no screen..........
So they bring it to market and right away a bunch of folks are ticked off because their requirements didn't make it.

And at the end of the day, it would sell for very limited volumes.
Most of the folks who would buy it are right here on this forum, or ones similar to it, if that is possible.

And once many folks saw what it cost, they would go pick up a Sony DR-60 or CompactFlash HDV recorder I suspect.
I see the DR-60 is available for ~$1400.
About Cineforms target price, I believe.

Last edited by Bill Koehler; September 24th, 2008 at 05:51 PM. Reason: minor reformat.
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #384
Trustee

Nothing else records in Cineform Prospect HD codec natively.

Which means, NO conversions/transcoding before you edit, with Cineform recorder. At least on PC side, I think there's no contest to Cineform workflow, as it simply affords the best quality at the lowest disk space requirements, plus real-time playback in Premiere.

Granted, Cineform's recorder doesn't do it either, since it hasn't been manufactured yet :)

But hopefully it will... the sooner the better.
Old September 25th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #385
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Nothing else records in Cineform Prospect HD codec natively.
Not quite. The three models of Wafian recorders all use CineForm Intermediate natively (4:2:2 and 4:4:4), and the Silicon Imaging SI-2K uses CineForm RAW natively. We just working to add to this line-up.
Old September 25th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #386
Trustee

I've commented on flash-memory camera-mounted recorders. Sorry if I was unclear.
Old September 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #387
Major Player

Sorry to have annoyed you, Alex.
My comments were not meant as a slam against the technical goodness of Cineform.
Strictly the technical problems and business case of bringing this product to market.

Actually, I'm just glad to have gotten a response from Mr. David Newman.
I thread still being monitored (your time is valuable) means a product still in the pipeline?
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #388
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler View Post
Strictly the technical problems and business case of bringing this product to market.
Speaking of the problems getting this to market and desired configurations....

I was thinking about audio inputs.

They aren't really needed at all. I was one of the ones out here arguing for XLR (specifically miniXLR) but that just isn't necessary.

Most cameras today offer either SDI or HDMI outputs... both of which have high quality embedded multitrack audio.

Most cameras used for "high end" production that really warrants use of a codec like Cineform have audio inputs. Almost regardless of the quality, that is good enough.

Most should be using a field mixer of some sort. The outputs of that can be converted down to RCA or even mini stereo (headset type) jacks if need be, and most support two channels of XLR out.

For those of use who have complicated location audio needs, I suggest dual system recording.

I suggest the following I/O for Cineform's SOLID:

HD/SD SDI (in/out based on SOLID's operating mode)
One HDMI 1.3 for input to the system.

Obviously only one of the video inputs needs to be active at a time.

One HDMI 1.3 for passthrough monitoring while recording.
Headset (1/4" stereo TRS or 1/8" stereo mini jack)
Mic (1/8" stereo mini jack, for those few who really have no audio inputs on their cameras)
There should also be a small cellphone type microphone for "mutter tracks."

Now... that's one device that should be able to service 90% of the market.

Coupled with two CF card slots and a USB 2 (or 3 if it shows up later than I hope for) port.

There should be a "confidence" LCD, so you know its working and so you can set it up. I'd like some actual physical button transport controls.

If you want to get needlessly fancy, then some sort of remote control with some extra dedicated buttons and a jog shuttle would be nice. Make it an optional device, connect it via the USB port.

What about Dual Link SDI 4:4:4 ?

Show me a camera cheaper than RED that supports that? Heck other than RED show me a camera under 90K USD that supports that? Its just too niche. Make a separate device and charge a premium if the market wants it.

I promise to buy one down the line when I get my dual link SDI camera, as it is though cashflow keeps pushing that EX3 out on my purchase horizon.
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #389
Trustee

Ditto on HD-SDI in, and no compulsory analog audio inputs, as basic version.

This is a u-turn from what I previously thought would be necessary, based on prosumer cameras' audio specs.

But I found that EX1 actually has great mic preamps. Low noise, good fidelity.

So most of the people who shoot with it probably will be just fine feeding audio into the cam, and capturing HD-SDI video+audio out into the (eagerly awaited) Cineform recorder.
Old October 5th, 2008, 08:27 PM   #390
Major Player

How is the development going?

Have any ideas/goals been changed?

Has the potential release date been pushed back any?
Brent Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase