CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 16th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #406
Trustee

Update?

Is there any news on the Cineform recorders?
It's been over a year since first mentioned.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #407
Major Player

I'd like to know too!
Old December 18th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #408
Trustee

I'm sure this is a tough project to pull off. Look at FlashXDR/nanoFlash folks: they don't seem to be having it easy, either.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 02:12 AM   #409
Major Player

...And in the case of the Convergent Designs XDR/Nanoflash product, by their own admission they get the MPEG2 encoder chip from Sony.

I can easily see where doing the design work to get the Cineform codec converted to a hardware encoder chip would be difficult. And expensive. But I repeat myself....
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM   #410
New Boot

Cineform recorder

Hi David,
Now.. if you could only get a Canon firmware mod to output HDMI at full res from the EOS5D MkII (I've got one :-)) ... during video record to 1920x1080 30P .... then you'd have a path being beaten to your door. The 4GB limit on file size with CF cards in the EOS5D MkII and the daft firmware that STOPS instead of writing a new file like most NLEs do in capture ... is SO frustrating. And then there's the 'hot' sensor problem I know ..

Anyway - well done for getting this underway .. as you know from our chats in the past, this was my dream project .. but I got sidetracked.

NOW ... why does my NEO HD crash when trying to turn the H.264 .MOV files off the Canon EOS5D MkII into Cineform .AVI for editing?????

I've got so used to working wiht the NEO HD codec and its wunnerful quality that I'm desperate to use the output of the Canon with it.
Tony Koorlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2009, 08:46 PM   #411
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Wrong thread for this in general. Can you turn off the overlay in HDMI mode? That is what is needed for HDMI cpature solution to work with that camera.

We do support the Canon 5D indirectly, some systems need more help than others for simple conversions to CineForm AVI (most work fine with Core AVC and registering the MP4splitter.ax) If the instruction in other threads don't help, file a trouble ticket at cineform.com/support
Old January 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM   #412
Major Player

David, i am new to the board and just found this thread and your concept looks incredible. I have been giving consideration to purchasing SONY's CF recorder some time this year but could put it off until next year if this thing might be in production in the next year or two...Where does it stand? Do you think there is any chance it might be going to production at some point in the next 2 yrs? Thanks!
Old January 18th, 2009, 10:32 AM   #413
Trustee

Bryan, isn't Sony HVR-MRC1 unit HDV only?

This would negate the advantages of such external recorder on full HD cameras, such as EX1 - while Cineform recorder would be perfect...
Old January 18th, 2009, 11:03 AM   #414
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Daugherty View Post
David, i am new to the board and just found this thread and your concept looks incredible. I have been giving consideration to purchasing SONY's CF recorder some time this year but could put it off until next year if this thing might be in production in the next year or two...Where does it stand? Do you think there is any chance it might be going to production at some point in the next 2 yrs? Thanks!
The project clearly got delayed, but it is still of strong interest to us. Can say how soon as there are external market forces at play, so it will not make this year NAB.
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #415
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Bryan, isn't Sony HVR-MRC1 unit HDV only?

This would negate the advantages of such external recorder on full HD cameras, such as EX1 - while Cineform recorder would be perfect...
That is very true but since I am using an HD1000U and looking at a Z7U, Z5U, or FX1000 to purchase this year I would not get less from the SONY unit then i am getting from tape but would have an edit ready digital file on CF with tape back-up.

But this project from CINEFORM...this is a different beast altogether. Real HD from the HDMI with passthrough to an external HDD for dual back-up...I think I am in love. And while this item would put the SONY unit out of my kit, I would rather wait one more year and save the cash to apply to this purchase if it might be coming to a cart near you in the next 2 years. If not then i would rather go ahead and get the SONY unit now for time and security reasons and wait patiently for CineForm to get this beauty perfected.

PS. David- Feel free to add me to your beta tester/demo/review list if it means getting to see an advance proto in action!
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM   #416
Major Player

Status update on HDMI recorder

We apologize for our delay in getting updates to you about the HDMI recorder. Let me give you an update.

The recorder remains very high on our new products priority list. However, there has been a change in the status of a very key supplier we were counting on. This change has rippled into our intended development schedule. We're working on a strategy around this, but it means there is not a short-term release schedule. As much as I wish it were otherwise, I wouldn't be surprised if the recorder does not make it to market in 2009.

I get regular emails from people offering feature suggestions for the recorder. Don't hesitate to continue sending those to us as hopefully we'll be able to get this back on a scheduled development track.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:31 PM   #417
Trustee

Well, here's one suggestion: forget external hard drives and stick to the flash memory.

I was a proponent of the external HDDs for storage, since they used to be so much cheaper than the memory.

And they still are; but I grew to love EX1's internal recording to the tiny SDHC cards (with this adapter), without a hitch.

So yes, flash your memory, baby!

Also: which memory? Do you see any advantages of using, say, CF vs SDHC cards?

And... what I'd really want to see... are the cameras that give you an option to record into Cineform (RAW?) internally. EX1, Scarlet S35, new generations of Canon/Nikon DSLRs with HD video options... yoohoo - why not record internally into the most popular (AFAIK) editing codec in the first place?
Old February 5th, 2009, 06:14 PM   #418
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Yes we are thinking the same way. Flash everything and that is getting easier, but that was not the issue. Our first choice DSP vendor went away, they don't survive the market change, so we still pursuing a certain computer power per watt to make this happen (without the huge engineering costs of an ASIC -- hardwired CineForm on a chip.) I was on another conference call early today to find the suitable part.
Old February 6th, 2009, 01:07 AM   #419
New Boot

Nvidia ION Platform: CineForm Potential?

David, I thought about you when I read first reports on the Nvidia ION platform. A pre-cedia hands-on report included a picture of the tiny motherboard being held in the palm of a hand. I think that report said 10 watts power usage. But the AnandTech report below says 20 watts in a test sample that was running photoshop. I don't think you would need all the connectivity options that were on their test sample. Here is a link to the AnandTech report: AnandTech: NVIDIA's Ion Platform: Performance Preview Here is a link to the PC Perspective report: http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=663

Thanks for your recorder status update. I feel encouraged that the dream is stlll a possibility.

Last edited by Elliott Tucker; February 6th, 2009 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Add PC Perspective link
Elliott Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #420
Major Player

Thank you for the updates David & David.
It's good to know where things are at. I look forward to the device coming to market in the future.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase