CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 30 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old September 25th, 2009, 07:21 AM   #436
Regular Crew

Mini ITX H57 motherboards out in Q1 2010

While the CineDeckHD from (dbox) and the nanoflash (from Convergent Design) look great, they are still priced too high for me. I keep looking for low powered mini-itx motherboards and this board looks promising if it really draws only 60 watts.
Intel Previews Clarkdale Processor Performance Numbers - Intel Clarkdale Benchmark Performance Revealed - Legit Reviews
While no article I have found states it, I believe this is an Intel motherboard. I have a hunch companies like Zotac will also have their own version.

I would think that one could create a small portable unit for very little and spend the extra money that was saved on a good monitor like the Marshall V-LCD651ST-HDMI which lists for $2000. Or if you are budget minded, the ikan v5600 at $700 or the Manhattan LCD HD089B for $600-650.

I think the above combo(s) with the right battery packs would allow you to shoot longer than tethering to a laptop but who knows what options might be available when the Arrandale based laptops start shipping.
Bill Strehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM   #437
Trustee

So... what exactly can be used to provide mobile power to such device? seems like PC+monitor will consume *at least* 80Watts?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2009, 08:11 AM   #438
Regular Crew

power options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
So... what exactly can be used to provide mobile power to such device? seems like PC+monitor will consume *at least* 80Watts?
I am thinking 12 volt batteries are probably the lease expensive and come in a wide range of sizes. You need a DC to DC power converter and that is where the limitations come into play. You will see here: DC-DC ATX Power Supplies that 250 watts is the max.

For more info on the Intel (I assume) board check out the excellent article by the people at Anandtech: AnandTech: The Real Conroe Successor: Clarkdale & All You Need to Know about Westmere You'll see on page 4 that the unit draws about 70 watts at full power and 28 at idle. The other article I referenced above shows the LCD monitor drawing about 40 watts.

The monitor can be critical if you need it to also pull focus so that limits you in your options.
Old September 25th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #439
Major Player

I can't speak on behalf of CineDeck as they are a separate company, but justa as a heads up I think there might be some good news in the near future regarding price points - that is, lower than posted currently on their website.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM   #440
Major Player

I was looking at the Archos 9 which is about $800 and hoping to find a setup solution to connect it to my Sony Z1
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2009, 02:55 PM   #441
Major Player

Looks like there's a new Intel Atom capable of integrated "uncompressed 1080p capture":

Intel announces Atom CE4100 for insanely powerful cable boxes and Blu-ray players

Not sure what that's about... surely uncompressed capture is all about having the physical bandwidth to stream x amount of megabytes to the hard disk. I'm sure even the most basic Atom could do that already...
Old October 12th, 2009, 03:25 PM   #442
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It will not help, that is a slower Atom core with a bunch of media cores attached -- only 1.2GHz. We need a faster dual core Atom. 2Ghz dual core Atom with a slightly faster FSB will do about do the trick.
Old October 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM   #443
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Newman View Post
It will not help, that is a slower Atom core with a bunch of media cores attached -- only 1.2GHz. We need a faster dual core Atom. 2Ghz dual core Atom with a slightly faster FSB will do about do the trick.
That wont be that long then surely? I'd buy a Cineform Recorder for sure - Hardware can be so cheap now.

Can't work out why the other device is $5000 though!
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #444
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
High development costs vs. expectations of how many you will sell to recoup those costs and actually make some money.

Hardware may be cheap but the expertise to create something new can be expensive.
Sort of like cameras (cheap) vs. the person behind them (expensive).

At that price ($5K) though I would expect people to go to the Nanoflash.
As expensive as it is, it's very high quality combined with 40% less costly.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2009, 11:40 AM   #445
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Koehler
At that price ($5K) though I would expect people to go to the Nanoflash.
As expensive as it is, it's very high quality combined with 40% less costly.
Reread "I can't speak on behalf of CineDeck as they are a separate company, but justa as a heads up I think there might be some good news in the near future regarding price points - that is, lower than posted currently on their website.
September 25th, 2009 07:11 AM"

The developers CineDeck is aware that some only may only want the base functionality like that of Nanoflash, and they are planning so address those users. However the $5K for the extra features is offers is very competitive.
Old October 16th, 2009, 12:58 PM   #446
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dwyer View Post
That wont be that long then surely? I'd buy a Cineform Recorder for sure - Hardware can be so cheap now.

I'd say a dual core 2.0GHz Atom is quite some way off - there's simply no need. Core 2 Duo ultra-low voltage CPUs might fill in the blank though.

$5,000 is excellent value for the other device. You've got to stop thinking of basic build cost and factor in research and development, the relatively microscopic market for the device, plus the fact that the guys who've made it would probably like to earn a living selling them.
Old October 19th, 2009, 08:32 PM   #447
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter View Post
I'd say a dual core 2.0GHz Atom is quite some way off - there's simply no need...
With all the new portable media devices, slimmer faster cellphones, portable gaming, etc, I could see quite a bit of interest in dual core atom chips...
Old October 19th, 2009, 11:58 PM   #448
Major Player

Well, as pointed out, the "new" Atom above actually has a lower clock speed, still a single core, but has custom "bolt-ons" into the architecture for stuff that would normally require a faster CPU.
Old November 10th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #449
Regular Crew

new Asus laptop with Express Card and esata

Just saw this quick preview of an ASUS laptop with a retail price of $1500. It has an ExpressCard 54 slot, esata port plus a 15.6 inch monitor with 1920x1080 resolution.

It has an i7 processor at 1.6Ghz (turbo to 2.8), 4GB of 1066Mhz DDR3 memory and a Nvidia GTX 260M graphics chip. There are 2 320GB hard drives spinning at 7200 rpm.

For more details:
Asus G51J Core i7 Mobile Gaming Notebook Review - HotHardware
Old November 10th, 2009, 03:15 PM   #450
Major Player

All looks good Bill but can I use it with my Sony Z1 to record and view live footage onto the laptop?
David Dwyer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase