CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #166
New Boot

Well, I kind of like the modular world. Where I can get an adapter for my old set of takumars, a hv20 and a device like this for hdmi capture. You know with a follow focus from there and a matte box from there and maybe a monitor from there. Then maybe in the future I could upgrade the camera or maybe get a PL mount to my Brevis.

If you buy a camera with it all you're stuck with it and when it becomes yesterday's news and you'll have to upgrade the whole camera... Instead of just using the camera as a sensor. Which I think is the future by the way.

Modular design makes a whole lot of sense to me. With a nice set of rails to attach the monster to...

Last edited by Klas Persson; November 25th, 2007 at 11:10 PM.
Klas Persson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:29 PM   #167
Major Player

Thanks Nathan....

Thanks are due to Nathan Ottley for submitting a professional-looking concept illustration for the CineForm recorder which is now posted on the Recorder product page: https://www.cineform.com/products/CineFormRecorder.htm. The concept is still subject to change, but this is a great start!
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #168
Trustee

Lovely!

Is Nathan a member here?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:40 PM   #169
Inner Circle

Looks nice - but where is Analog component in? A lot of cameras (ie JVC 110U) don't have HDMI!!!
Jim Andrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 10:22 PM   #170
CTO, CineForm Inc.

We starting with HDMI as it is less expensive to design. Analog in is definitely on the list for second generation features.
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:17 PM   #171
Inner Circle

It may be less expensive to design, but I think it will also cut the potential size of the market quite substantially.

No way I could use it unless I were to get rid of my JVC camera - which I'm not about to do in the next few years:<(

Damn! I already had my checkbook out. Guess I'll have to put it away for a while!
Old November 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #172
Trustee

HDMI. HD-SDI. Component.

First iteration of the recorder, obviously, must draw the line somewhere.

Even Cineform can't be good for *everyone*.

...Or can it? :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #173

There are several ~$300 component to DVI/HDMI adapters around.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:49 AM   #174
Major Player

To get some idea of scale, that is the size of the LCD display in the concept render?
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #175
Inner Circle

I know about the component to HDMI, but it sort of defeats some of the key features of the CineForm box I think - it raises the price, adds more opportunity to degrade the signal, and most importantly it's another piece of stuff to schlep around.

Oh well - have to wait for the second release, I guess:<(
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:49 AM   #176
Major Player

Maybe something like this would work along with the Cineform box for those of us wanting SDI sooner.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...I_to_HDMI.html

Of course, I'd rather have a direct SDI connection from my Sony EX1.

I also LOVE the idea of two flash cards. It would allow longer shoots.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:05 AM   #177
Major Player

At first glance it seems less expensive (to an end user) to include component input in the first recoder design. But as soon as we add analog circuitry it adds to the complexity of the design and the cost of the HDMI recorder will increase proportionately (for all users). While we recognize the value of component input, we are "erring" first on the side of design simplicity and low (as we can get it) cost.

We have on our list to investigate possibly including a power connector to drive an external converter box. That would at least simplify the use of an external converter.
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:09 AM   #178
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Leadbetter View Post
To get some idea of scale, that is the size of the LCD display in the concept render?
The illustration is not to scale as it relates to the LCD. Per some earlier discussions in the thread, the color LCD is intended for parameter setup and shot review. It will be an inexpensive panel, perhaps something like on an iPod or on a WM cell phone. In other words, functional pictures for review, but not intended to replace the LCD monitor on your camera.
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:33 PM   #179
Inner Circle

For me, as a recorder from any of the HDV/DV camcorders the simpler the device that's the lowest cost is preferable. HDMI in only, no analogue input, LED's or VERY simple display to show status, especially record, two bays for flash cards, USB to laptop USB drive( even make this an option if there are two card slots), no play capability. Provide system connector for additional cradle unit with LCD, HDMI out etc. In other words separate the encode from decode functions. Even consider a base unit like a Beachtech that screws under the camcorder. You will be competing against a Blackmagic Intensity in a micro PC that can be put together for less than $1000 including 2G RAM and 250G hard drive including the Intensity card. The difference will be convenience/size. IF one is in the studio I feel the Intensity card is a better solution direct to the editing PC. SO small and low cost is what would be appealing to me.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM   #180
Major Player

I could see the HDMI version as a start and then having a set of new models with perhaps just component and another with just HD-SDI. Price differences between models would be an obvious end result but that way everyone would be happy in the end and the product can be released ASAP.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase