CineForm HDMI Recorder Concept Posted - Page 15 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old December 7th, 2007, 04:37 PM   #211
New Boot

Applicable to Red?

David(s),

Just wondering how applicable the first version of the box is to Red.

If I read the specs of the Red One correctly from Red's website, the Red HDMI AND HD-SDI ports will only support 720 x 1280.

Also, I'd like to be able to use this product with both my Z1U and my Red.

I'm guessing I'll need to wait for the analogue version.

-Thor
Thor Wixom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:35 PM   #212
Major Player

Hi Thor,

The recorder should have no problem recording from any HDMI source. After all, it's the HDMI spec that that defines the signalling, so devices on both sides should be compatible.

Actually, until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about using the recorder with Red's HDMI output. But this might be a great way to provide dailies, or even proxy files for cuts editing. Certainly you'll usually want to use the R3D source for the online work.

With the Z1U you'll need a component-to-HDMI converter for our first-gen box.
David Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 02:22 AM   #213
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Hi Thor,

The recorder should have no problem recording from any HDMI source. After all, it's the HDMI spec that that defines the signalling, so devices on both sides should be compatible.

Actually, until you mentioned it, I hadn't thought about using the recorder with Red's HDMI output. But this might be a great way to provide dailies, or even proxy files for cuts editing. Certainly you'll usually want to use the R3D source for the online work.

David Taylor,

The dailies idea is a really good one! I wouldn't have thought of that, but it makes a lot of sense.

I wish the Red HDMI would output 1080. I can think of all kinds of problems that would solve. Maybe a future firmware update?

Good luck with this project. I'm excited to see where it goes, and what it might mean eventually for Red owners.

-Thor
Thor Wixom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #214
Regular Crew

How about something like this to hold it? I just came across the eHolster system and I'm digging the shoulder harness. Too geeky? Maybe, but it even has wire management built in, and it looks like they make custom sizes. Check it out here: http://www.eholster.com/casesystems.html

Also, I want to add my vote for component, sooner rather than later. It would kill me to have to wait for an upgraded version to use with my XH-A1...

BTW, I'm not currently a Cineform user, but this thread has motivated me to look at it more closely and the SOLID would definately make me a believer.
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 09:47 PM   #215
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Taylor View Post
Hi Thor,

Hi, I pointed this out some days ago:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Bustamante View Post
hi, this looks amazing!

I think this would be a perfect video assist for the RED using it's HDMI output. If the unit is rugged enough and LCD has sufficient quality it could also work as a portable director's monitor/video assist.

It would be great if it could be powered via V or gold mounted batteries on the back of the unit. Add a way to properly secure the HDMI cable connection and a smart touchscreen interface and it would be a dream come true.

Thanks for making it happen (and listening!)

LB

PS. "Solid" sounds cool
I guess you missed my post. Anyway, great to see you are now aware of this possibilty for the SOLID.

LB
Luis Bustamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #216
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Plotkin View Post
I just came across the eHolster system and I'm digging the shoulder harness.
Oh great.

Now the CF recorder users will be shot at by the police who'll think they are carrying a piece :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #217
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Oh great.

Now the CF recorder users will be shot at by the police who'll think they are carrying a piece :)
LOL! Only it's really not so funny...
Jonathan Plotkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 06:01 AM   #218
Regular Crew

Component in

Please component in for all the Canon XH A1 owners like me. And the Sony Z1 owners... Why should we wait for an upgrade?
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:32 AM   #219
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hernan Vilchez View Post
Please component in for all the Canon XH A1 owners like me. And the Sony Z1 owners... Why should we wait for an upgrade?
Speaking as a Z1 guy myself... we have to understand they can only really devote the time and money to designing one at a time, otherwise it's just not smart businesswise, and HDMI does make more sense than component for the first release. I hate that it's true, but it is. :(

Carl
Old December 11th, 2007, 09:39 AM   #220
Major Player

They've announced that this is only the first of a whole line of products. Why do some of you feel neglected that they've omitted a certain feature?

I think they plan to support all of what our suggestions are, that's the whole point of this thread. There will just be different devices for different types of users.

I'm personally all for an all-digital-HDMI-only capture device.
It's really not that small of a niche of camcorders anymore that have (or will have) HDMI.
Craig Irving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #221
Regular Crew

Ok, im not complaining, just want to use it with my main camera that is a Canon XH A1 (as other many people). If a converter component-HDMI is giving me the same quality as component in directly, alles ist gut.

If not ill have to wait till they sale the dual version.

And please Craig relax, just expressing some opinions and wishes, thats what this forum is for.
Old December 11th, 2007, 05:52 PM   #222
Major Player

I think this looks awesome.

Comments:

The price point at $2k limits its adoption. Personally I'd wait for it to come down to $500 or so, and consider it the ultimate accessory for an HV20 like machine.

Would purchase include Neo/ProspectHD? It seems at 1920x1080 10-bit, Prospect would be a must for any purchaser. If it did, then naturally at $2k, it's a bargain.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:05 PM   #223
Trustee

BTW, whatever the policy ends up being, NeoPlayer is free, so even if you don't get ProspectHD packaged with it, you won't be required to pay for new software to at least edit the footage . . . you'll just have limited non-CineForm export options, and lose a lot of the multi-stream real-time treats that ProspectHD gives Premiere Pro. But I would think on a good machine at least a single stream of high-quality HD with cuts-only will playback in real-time with NeoPlayer.
Jason Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #224
Major Player

I think $2,000 for what they are offering is a deal.

Look at the HVR-DR60, it's almost $1,500 and all it does is record highly compressed DV/HDV.

For a device that allows you to record visually lossless video at 10-bits 4:2:2 for under $2,000 is AMAZING. Especially something that portable.

Even if it doesn't come with Prospect. If it did, it would be a STEAL!

Just my 2-cents.
James Huenergardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #225
Major Player

In the current market, there's no doubt that its price point is a steal. The question is: which camera owners do you expect to purchase this?

With an HDMI input this kind of device is very attractive all the way up the market - but it stands to compliment $1k cameras just as well as $5k and up machines.

-Steve
Steven White is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase