Playback via Intensity HDMI Out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase

CineForm Software Showcase
Cross platform digital intermediates for independent filmmakers.

Old November 15th, 2007, 01:46 PM   #1
Trustee

Playback via Intensity HDMI Out

Cineform states that at present, it does not support Intensity card to play out the captured videos.

How to do it then? I tried dropping Cineform Aspect HD file into a PremierePro's timeline, and also nothing. (PPRo actually does output via Intensity 's HDMI if the project it set to Blackmagic preset. But then the timeline playback of the Aspect video cannot be done - the video just stops almost immediately, probably requires rendering. Scrubbing through the timeline does output the video.)

I need to monitor the videos captured, and the PC's screen is only 7" so it's impossible to see anything.

However the HDMI-enabled field monitor is 23" and it accepts HD signal just fine.

I use that monitor to view the signal during recording.

How do I use it to view the playback off of the PC?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 01:58 PM   #2
CTO, CineForm Inc.

It is on the short term work list to address this. All I can say at the moment.
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

one more question, does Intensity card support a live monitoring thru hdmi out, when doing a capture from hdmi devices (V1, HV20) into Cineform codec?
Anton Galimzyanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2007, 08:42 PM   #4
Trustee

Anton, yes - Intensity has HDMI through to the monitor while recording.
Old November 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Great!! Alex, did you notice any visible delay (when capturing into CF format)?
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:24 AM   #6
Trustee

No delay - seems to be real time or close enough.

I know what you are referring to... with firewire, there's that annoying delay of about 1/2sec. depending on how long the GOP group is in the signal... no such thing with HDMI - remember, there's no compression, the signal is live and no decompression delays occur.
Old November 16th, 2007, 06:26 AM   #7
Trustee

Anton, BTW - how's Cineform doing in Russia? Just curious. What cameras do you use?
Old November 18th, 2007, 01:14 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Alex, I use HV20 with SGPro. HV20 lacks some manual settings and not so easy-to-use, but Sony V1 seemed to produce too much CA (even FX1 worked better). A little HV is a work of art, and HDMI out provides even more crispness & sharpness.

Yes, cineform is a great codec. I know at least two guys who bought SI cameras with cineform RAW inside, they just fell in love with them! )
Old November 21st, 2007, 05:56 AM   #9
Major Player

Playback via intensity Vegas 8 pro update - thank you BM

Alex...Good news perhaps

I asked BM this question a while back - Intensity support in Vegas Pro 8.Likely,unlikely or never?

The answer from Blackmagic

The good news is that the Vegas Pro 8 Beta version of our drivers are available for download from our website. Here is the link... http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/software/

I have installed the drivers and you can view cineform captured files using Blackmagic media express.It is not consistently reliable on some files but it works and doesn't open up a separate directshow window like before.The drivers have also been updated for Vegas 8 pro support (Not sure about Premiere pro) and support previewing the timeline via the HDMI output ,although it can be choppy at times.I believe this is a known issue and will be addressed in a future update.The update which of course is a beta does some wierd things with the audio but it addresses a few nice improvements and I am sure the bugs will be ironed out soon.
Henry Olonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Trustee

Henry, thanks.

Interestingly, I can't get the Intensity card to work with the 1.8.1 drivers (most updated as per a week ago.)

BM rep advised downgrading the drivers, so i ended up with 1.2 BM Intensity Driver version which finally works.

I do not know if 1.8.2 version will work, most likely not...
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:08 PM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Anton, yes - Intensity has HDMI through to the monitor while recording.
This is actually a lot cooler than most people realise. Well, for Intensity Pro any way.

You can ingest HDMI, but the video passthrough output can be set to either HDMI or component. I'm sure it's the same with ingesting component and outputting HDMI too. Very useful indeed depending on the type of secondary monitor you may - or may not - have handy.

The output of the passthrough is indeed realtime with no lag.
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Some testing has shown that you can output some CineForm files using Blackmagic's Media Express. However, the performance is very poor and only some files work.

The Blackmagic Video output filter is very sensitive to framerates and resolutions. The files must be 1920x1080 29.97i or 1280x720 60p. This means that if you've used our pulldown removal to get 24p, you can't output these clips. Or, if you have 720p 30 clips from other sources, you can't output these either. For Aspect users creating 1440x1080 clips, these are also incompatible with Media Express.

I'm working on our own solution for output in Premiere. Once that's complete, I'll look into modifying HD Link's "Export" function to act like a playlist with the Intensity card. There is no ETA on these features yet, but I wanted to let you all know that they ARE in development!
Old November 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM   #13
Trustee

Tim, thanks for the update.

I do use 24p framerate, so I'll need the "normal" solution from Cineform, not BM workaround...

...the sooner, the better :)

Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Old November 22nd, 2007, 10:39 AM   #14
Regular Crew

offtopic,

Owners of Intensity Pro, do you have a possibility to use S-Video and RCA composite Out (or component only) while capturing from HDMI? I'm asking because I have only a non-Pro version of BM, as for me analog SD video would be a welcome add-on. BM site says it's possible, but a photo of breakout cable can't explain how to.

thanks
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM   #15
Regular Crew

How about this.

http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html

Component to S-Video is really tricky, this is the only thing I've ever seen that does this.

Chris
Chris Swartz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Cross-Platform Post Production Solutions > CineForm Software Showcase